Cops probing crypto investment scam involving RM41.5mil in losses, says CCID director


KUALA LUMPUR: A total of 46 investigation papers have been opened in connection with the "SILEGX" investment scam, involving RM41.5mil in losses, says Comm Datuk Seri Ramli Mohamed Yoosuf.

The Bukit Aman Commercial Crime Investigation Department (CCID) director said the syndicate was active in promoting the crypto-based scheme on TikTok and Facebook.

"Those interested will be added into a WhatsApp or Telegram group so that they could be given further explanation on the investment being offered," he told reporters at the CCID headquarters on Wednesday (March 19).

So far, 46 victims have lodged police reports, including 15 senior citizens, he said.

"Among the victims are 12 businessmen, three teachers, two engineers as well as an engineer and a doctor," he added.

Comm Ramli said three senior citizens were among the latest victims, who lost more than RM5mil.

"One of the victims, a 71-year-old man saw an advertisement for the investment scheme on Facebook and he contacted the WhatsApp number displayed.

"He was then added into a WhatsApp group before being given an explanation on the investment scheme," he said.

After registering his account, the victim transferred RM5mil to eight bank accounts in 42 transactions, Comm Ramli said.

"In early March, the victim was informed the platform was having trouble and they must withdraw their investments at the risk of their (investment) accounts being frozen.

"At that time, the victim saw his investment had produced almost RM1bil in profits.

"However, when he wanted to make the withdrawal, he was imposed a RM1.01mil fee. Feeling suspicious, the victim lodged a police report," he said.

Comm Ramli said police have detected 39 bank accounts used to by the investment scam to receive money from victims.

"37 accounts were registered under various companies while two others were registered as businesses.

"We are investigating the cases under Section 420 of the Penal Code for cheating," he said.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Social media users to verify age using official docs from June 1
Apex court fixes June 26 to hear Isa Samad's conviction review bid
Ulu Bendul Forest Eco Park closed until June 23 due to leptospirosis�
Drop in 'delayed', 'sick' private housing projects as of April 30, says ministry
Travel time advisory issued for those driving to east coast over Aidiladha
Developer denies claims it refused to build bridge in Batu Kawan
Govt to continue supporting social enterprises with RM5mil investment, says Sim
Seven men fined over Bukit Bintang flare incident
Old ginger, potatoes and buffalo meat added to Kaamatan, Gawai festive price control list
Johor cops nab 13 suspects in connection with two murder cases

Others Also Read