Flood-hit Baling families receive cash aid ahead of Raya


BALING: More than 400 heads of household (KIR) affected by the floods in several areas of the district from Sept 30 to Oct 18 last year has received RM1,000 each in humanitarian aid.

Kedah Federal Development Office director Zepri Saad said all the 414 KIRs had registered or relocated to temporary relief centres when their homes were affected by the disaster.

“The floods affected seven sub-districts: Mukim Bakai, Mukim Teloi Kanan, Mukim Siong, Mukim Baling/Bongor, Mukim Pulai, Mukim Tawar, and Mukim Kupang.

“This aid was approved by the National Disaster Management Agency. It shows Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s concern to ensure that those affected by the floods receive the necessary assistance,” he told Bernama after distributing the aid at Dewan Kenangan Tun Abdul Razak here yesterday.

He added that the aid is expected to help ease the burden of flood victims during Ramadan and the upcoming Hari Raya.

A flood victim from Kampung Batu 18, Bongor, Halimah Abu Bakar, 69, said she would use the money to purchase necessities for Ramadan and prepare for the upcoming Aidilfitri.

“My husband and I are no longer able to work at our age, and we are both in poor health.

“Our house is frequently flooded. Last year, my house was submerged six times. All the furniture and appliances were damaged, and I could only rely on my children and neighbours to help clean up the house,” she said.

Another recipient, Nur Hidayah Abd Latif, 37, from Kampung Bongor, said she would use the money to make preparations for Aidilfitri.

“During the flood, we didn’t have time to save important items because the water rose suddenly while we were asleep around midnight. We could only save ourselves and family members.

“The aid money we received will allow us to buy things we need for Aidilfitri. As for furniture and other items, we won’t be buying new ones; we will make do with what we have,” she said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
victim , flood , aid , aidilfitri , Baling

Next In Nation

Pangolin still in danger despite reduced threat in Sabah
Economic opportunities for Penang predicted to prosper mid-2026
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
Langkawi waves claim life of Shanghai man
Broader statutory body to oversee premium crops
Easing financial hardships�
Perikatan faces leadership test
Displaced families seek refuge as rains continue
Flood response in full swing
Hunt on for trio alleged to have hypnotised, cheated woman

Others Also Read