Zayn Rayyan trial: High Court dismisses parents' bid to quash neglect charges


PETALING JAYA: The High Court has rejected the application to overturn the neglect charge against Zayn Rayyan Abdul Matin’s parents, which alleged that their actions two years ago could have physically harmed their autistic child.

Judge Roszianayati Ahmad made this ruling on Tuesday (March 4) after dismissing the motion filed by Zaim Ikhwan Zahari and his wife, Ismanira Abdul Manaf, reported Sinar Harian.

"The charge against the two accused is not flawed. Therefore, this notice application is dismissed," he said.

Following this, the case trial at the Petaling Jaya Sessions Court will take place as scheduled on March 11.

On 13 June 13, 2024, the 30-year-old couple pleaded not guilty to a joint charge of neglecting their son, Zayn Rayyan Abdul Matiin, aged 6, in a manner likely to cause physical harm while in their custody.

The offence was allegedly committed around Jalan PJU Damansara Damai from 12pm on Dec 5, 2023, to 9.55pm the next day.

The charge was made under Section 31(1)(a) of the Children Act 2001 and is punishable under Section 31(1) of the same act read together with Section 34 of the Penal Code.

On December 6, 2023, Zayn Rayyan was found dead in a stream near the Pangsapuri Idaman area, Damansara Damai, at 10 pm.

The victim was previously reported missing before being found lying about 200 metres from his residential block.

On January 21, the couple filed a notice of motion at the High Court here to quash the charges on the grounds that the charges did not disclose any offence under Section 31 of the act.

They also applied to be released and released immediately.

More to come

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Escaped Immigration detainees easily identifiable with bright green uniforms, shaved heads
Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'
No guerrilla incursion into Kelantan following south Thai attacks, says GOF
Second boy found drowned, search operation in Keningau ends
Almost RM730mil spent on welfare aid for seniors, OKU, chronically ill this year
Sabah eyes promoting fishing as an international niche sports tourism product
Police issue 75 summonses, seize 31 bikes in anti-illegal racing ops on Second Link
Four nabbed, 3.4 tonnes of cooking oil seized in raid on smuggling ring in Terengganu
Pedestrian killed crossing SPRINT Highway near Damansara toll

Others Also Read