Body of fisherman attacked by crocodile found in Sandakan


KOTA KINABALU: The body of a fisherman, missing some limbs as the result of a crocodile attack, has been found in Sandakan.

Sandakan Fire and Rescue Station chief Severinus Sainkui, confirmed that the body of the victim, a man in his 50s, was discovered by the public at 8.44am on Friday (Feb 28), close to where he was pulled under by the reptile.

"Firemen were searching the riverbank when we received information about the discovery of the body," he said.

The victim's remains have been handed over to the police for further action.

According to earlier reports, the victim had been scattering fertiliser into the river before net fishing when the crocodile attacked him, dragging him underwater.

Severinus said a team was dispatched immediately after receiving a distress call at 5.40pm on Thursday (Feb 27), launching a search and rescue operation that same evening.

The operation officially ended following the discovery of the body at 9.34am on Friday.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read