Leprosy: Situation in Kuala Pilah under control, no need to isolate patients, says Health Ministry


SEREMBAN: The leprosy situation in the two Orang Asli villages in Kuala Pilah near here is under control and there is no need to isolate the eight patients.

The Health Ministry, in a statement Friday (Feb 21), said the sick are free to move around as there was effective treatment for the disease.

"The ministry gives a guarantee that the situation in Kuala Pilah is under control.

"As of Feb 19, the state health authorities have screened 368 of the 460 Orang Asli in both villages to prevent the spread of the disease," it said.

The ministry said the authorities have been carrying out checks at both villages since July last year.

Nine leprosy cases were detected and all patients were given treatment according to the established guidelines.

However, an 18-year-old girl from Kg Chergun died on Feb 17.

"The patient was admitted at the Tuanku Ampuan Najihah Hospital after she fell sick and complained of stomach ache and vomiting.

"Her family took her home on Feb 16 but the patient died the following day," it said.

The ministry said efforts to screen the remaining Orang Asli as well as their contacts would continue.

"Similarly, infection prevention and control measures are still ongoing.

"Any individual with leprosy-like symptoms should seek treatment at the nearest health facility," it said, expressing hope the people will extend their cooperation to the health teams.

On Feb 19, Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun said the nine individuals who were infected were from five families.

Five individuals, he said, were from Kg Chergun and four others from Kg Guntur

Aminuddin said the authorities will quarantine all villagers following the death of the 18-year-old girl.

The Mentri Besar said the Jeram Tengkek Ecopark located on the peripheries of the two villages has also been closed indefinitely to prevent the disease from spreading.

Checks with the Orang Asli community in the two villages on Thursday showed that the quarantine order had yet to be enforced.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read