Leprosy prevention measures in place in Kg Chergun, Kg Guntur since August


Photo: Bernama

KUALA PILAH: The Kuala Pilah district Health Office has taken proactive measures to prevent the spread of leprosy by conducting health screenings on residents in Kampung Orang Asli Chergun and Kampung Orang Asli Guntur since August 2024.

Kampung Orang Asli Chergun village development and security committee chairman Sisah Jantan, 50, said health officials provided residents with medication and conducted regular health screenings to monitor the situation.

"Health Ministry officers also provided us with medication. So far, the situation in this village is under control and we have received explanations about the preventive measures we should take.

The community need not worry as there is medication for this disease and health officers are conducting regular checks," she told reporters on Thursday (Feb 20).

Sisah said this was the first case in the village and they had conducted two screenings – one in August 2024 and another last week.

Meanwhile, Kampung Orang Asli Guntur committee chairman Adnan Sulak, 59, said that villagers had been impacted by the negative perceptions spread by some, which had slightly disrupted their daily activities.

He said that nearly all of the approximately 400 villagers had undergone examinations and screenings as instructed by health authorities.

"For those uninfected, we have been provided with preventative medication since August last year. Continuous screenings and monitoring are conducted regularly.

"We are disheartened by the spread of false information about the disease, which has impacted residents working outside the village," he said.

Adnan expressed hope that the situation would be resolved swiftly, and that the villagers were prepared to follow any further instructions from the Health Ministry, offering their full cooperation.

On Wednesday (Feb 20), media reports confirmed the death of an 18-year-old Orang Asli girl from Kampung Chergun on Monday, who passed away due to leprosy, while eight others are currently receiving treatment.

The case was first detected on Jan 2, involving nine Orang Asli residents from Kampung Chergun and Kampung Guntur, according to the report.

Meanwhile, Negri Sembilan rural development, plantation and commodity action committee chairman Datuk Seri Jalaluddin Alias said while control measures are being enforced, any in-and-out activities at the two affected villages should be minimised to prevent the risk of external transmission.

Jalaluddin, who is also a senior executive councillor, called on all communities to work together to eradicate the disease and to offer moral support to the residents impacted by the outbreak.

In a related development, the Orang Asli Development Department (Jakoa) issued a statement confirming that screenings will be conducted this Saturday for residents who have not yet been tested.

"Jakoa is deeply concerned about the spread of leprosy in these two villages, which led to the tragic death of an Orang Asli teenager. Both the state Jakoa and the District Health Office have already taken proactive steps to address the situation," the statement read. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read