Nine leprosy cases detected in Kuala Pilah


SEREMBAN: Two Orang Asli villages in Kuala Pilah have been quarantined after nine leprosy cases were reported in the area, including one death, says Datuk Seri Aminudin Harun.

The Mentri Besar said the Jeram Tengkek Ecopark located on the peripheries of the two villages has also been closed indefinitely to prevent the disease from spreading.

“I was shocked when informed by senior state exco member (Datuk Seri Jalaluddin Alias) about the nine cases in Kg Chergun and Kg Guntur.

“Sadly, an 18-year-old girl from Kg Chergun died two days ago at her home after coming down with fever for about a week,” he said after chairing the state exco meeting at Wisma Negri.

Jalaluddin, who was also present, said most of the nine indivi­duals are from separate families.

“Five individuals were from Kg Chergun and four others from Kg Guntur,” he said, adding that the health authorities are also investigating how the disease spread in the two villages.

Jalaluddin said the health autho­rities carried out a screening exercise on 65% of the villa­gers last month and another one was conducted on Feb 15.

He said the Jeram Tengkek Eco­park had to be closed to prevent outsiders from coming into the area.

“We do not want to take any risk by allowing outsiders into the ecopark. For now, it will remain closed,” he said, adding that ano­ther screening exercise will be carried out at Kg Guntur on Feb 22.

He said Juasseh assemblyman Puan Sri Bibi Sharliza Mohd Khalid and the relevant government departments and agencies will assist the Orang Asli from the two villages for the duration of the quarantine.

“It is important that we bring the situation under control first. So, we will send in whatever assistance is required by the Orang Asli during this period,” he said.

On a separate matter, Ami­nud­din said female state government employees will be allowed to go home at 2pm on Fridays during Ramadan.

“They will have to report for work at 7.30am and work till 2pm without taking a break during lunch time,” he added.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM1.7mil gone in 120 seconds: Robbers took only two minutes to rob Genting goldsmith
Forest fire breaks out near MAIS building in Shah Alam
Putting the rapid in RTS Link: Commuters can clear immigration in seconds, claims project director
Merdeka convoys must prioritise road safety, say police
Police obtain several leads in Seri Tambun shooting case
Man nabbed over threatening Facebook post, sword seized
‘No idea why I was dropped’: Former 1MDB CEO denies striking deal to have name removed from US$5.64bil suit
Increase Budi Diesel quota to 500 litres for Sabahans, urges state PKR Youth
Appeals court upholds RM3.4mil order against former Mara Corp group CEO
Sarawak’s sovereign data platform to strengthen AI capabilities, says Abang Jo

Others Also Read