Court to hear ex-Nenggiri rep’s lawsuit over termination


KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court has fixed April 28 to hear an originating summons filed by former Nenggiri assemblyman Mohd Azizi Abu Naim who is challenging his termination from Bersatu.

Justice Roz Mawar Rozain set the date after ruling that there were issues that needed to be ventilated regarding the party’s constitution.

The judge also dismissed an application filed by the Elections Commission (EC), Bersatu and the Kelantan State Assembly Speaker who sought to strike out Mohd Azizi’s lawsuit.

In the same proceedings, the court, however, allowed the EC’s application to strike out the originating summons which also challenged the Nenggiri state by-election held on Aug 17 last year.

Justice Roz Mawar said that this was because the issue regarding the by-election had become academic as the Nenggiri by-election had taken place.

“Once an election has conclu­ded, a challenge to the previous seat holder becomes moot unless issues of fraud or illegality are established,” she said.

The judge added that an election result should be challenged via an election petition and not an originating summons.

On June 24 last year, Mohd Azizi, who was then Gua Musang MP, filed the origina­ting summons to seek a declaration that the by-election for the Nenggiri state seat could not be held or conducted by the EC (the fourth defendant) as the plaintiff still held the seat.

He named Bersatu president Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, Bersatu secretary-general Datuk Seri Hamzah Zainudin, Kelantan State Assembly Speaker Datuk Mohd Amar Nik Abdullah and the EC as defendants.

He is also seeking a court declaration that his dismissal from the political party in a notice dated June 12 was not valid, that the notice itself was not valid, and that his dismissal was done with mala fide (in bad faith).

Mohd Azizi said that an amendment made to Article 10 of the Bersatu constitution, which said a member’s membership would be terminated when the member supported a political rival, was unconstitutional.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts
No elements of abuse, bullying found in Trooper Indiran's death, says Khaled
Ex-Bersatu members welcome to join Umno, says Khaled
70-year-old woman swindled out of jewellery in 'pukau' scam
TB outbreak: Mask up at crowded places like Ramadan bazaars, public urged

Others Also Read