'Truly encouraging', says Dzul as nearly 4,000 seniors take advantage of free flu jabs


PETALING JAYA: More than 3,000 senior citizens received their influenza shots on the first day of the government’s flu vaccination drive, says Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad.

"It is truly encouraging to see such positive uptake for the free influenza vaccine among seniors!,” the Health Minister said in a post on X on Wednesday (Feb 19).

“(A total of) 3,618 seniors (aged 60-90) received their influenza vaccination yesterday, with all appointment slots filled,” he added.

Dzulkefly said “more positive outcomes” can be expected today, which is the second day of the vaccination drive.

He said getting inoculated against the influenza virus was important as it lowers the risk of severe illnesses and complications, reduces hospital admissions and protects loved ones and the community as a whole.

The highest uptake for the jab was reported in Perak, followed by Selangor and Kelantan.

He was responding to a tweet by former Health Ministry deputy director-general Datuk Dr Christopher Lee who lauded the initiative and the encouraging uptake among seniors.

A check by The Star showed that slots at over 100 health clinics nationwide had been fully booked.

Some clinics were even fully booked till March.

The nationwide influenza immunisation programme is available at government health clinics for senior citizens aged 60 and above with at least one comorbidity.

Over 170,000 seniors are expected to benefit from the vaccination programme.

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read