Kuching food court halts segregating into alcohol, non-alcohol areas


KUCHING: A plan for separate alcohol and non-alcohol dining areas at the popular Topspot Food Court here has been shelved following a public backlash.

A notice on the zoning arrangement at Topspot Food Court drew criticism when it was shared on social media earlier this month, with many commenters raising concerns that it would disrupt Sarawak's multicultural harmony.

In response, the Sarawak Economic Development Corporation (SEDC) and its subsidiary SEDC Permata Sdn Bhd, which manages the food court, retracted the notice on Monday (Feb 10).

"(We) are aware of the recent discussions on social media regarding the zoning arrangement at Topspot Food Court.

"Considering these discussions, the management has decided to put the notice on hold," SEDC Permata said in a statement.

It explained that SEDC received a proposal from the Sarawak Islamic Department (Jais) last November recommending separate zones for alcohol and non-alcohol dining areas.

An agreement was reached in December following discussions with the tenants, after which the food court management introduced a zoning arrangement for an alcohol-free zone and a general dining zone.

"This structured approach aims to balance the needs of various patrons while maintaining the unique character of Topspot Food Court as one of Kuching's most popular dining destinations.

"However, we acknowledge the concerns raised by members of the public regarding this implementation," SEDC Permata said.

It said further engagements will be conducted with the relevant parties to ensure that any final decision takes into account the best interests of all.

Any updates will be communicated transparently to the public, it added.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Fresh concern in Sabah as injured elephant spotted in Kalabakan
Man crashes car into Ipoh entertainment outlet
66 evacuated in Beaufort due to floods
Zara Qairina inquest: Victim claimed she was harassed by ‘tomboy’ student
Six nabbed for murder in Ipoh
BM remains official language for patient records, says Health Dept
Selangor Opposition wants Seri Kembangan rep to apologise over remarks, backs Selangor Ruler’s decree
State Umno supports Selangor Sultan's call to uphold Rukun Negara
New Malaysian passport to be issued from June 1, features 94 security elements
Over 19,000 illegal immigrants deported in 2026

Others Also Read