We will be transparent in our probe into the Tanjung Rhu incident, says PM Anwar


Photo: Bernama

IPOH: Malaysia has promised a transparent investigation into the shooting incident involving Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) officers and a group of undocumented Indonesian immigrants in the waters of Tanjung Rhu, Banting.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has instructed that the preliminary investigation report be communicated to Indonesia via the embassy.

ALSO READ: Foreign men shot after alleged attack on MMEA officers off Banting

"This is only happening because this country is a good friend, and once the investigation is fully completed, it will also be reviewed by our friends in Indonesia.

"I assure you and emphasize that there must be a transparent investigation and both parties must be informed of the investigation results," he told Sinar Harian.

He made these remarks while speaking at the Chinese New Year Tea Reception with the People at Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Cina Chong Hwa, Kanthan Baru here on Friday (Jan 31).

Anwar stated that he does not want the issue to disrupt the good relations between the two countries.

ALSO READ: Men who attacked MMEA officers trying to leave country illegally, say police

He also stressed that Malaysian enforcers must adhere to the law when dealing with the entry of undocumented immigrants and smuggling activities in Malaysian waters.

He stated that authorities must be firm in preventing such activities from continuing.

"But I want to assure that the law must not be violated, and actions contrary to the law must not be taken.

"I hope both parties, as expressed by the President of Indonesia and myself, will follow the legal pathway and not be driven by anger that could damage the good relations between the two countries," he said.

Commenting on the incident where the Malaysian Embassy in Indonesia was pelted with eggs by some Indonesian citizens, Anwar urged everyone to remain calm and advised Malaysians not to retaliate.

The Tambun MP said the incident occurred because irresponsible parties wanted to escalate tensions following the incident.

ALSO READ: Indonesians shot by MMEA involved in migrant smuggling, says Selangor top cop

Previously, Indonesia urged Malaysia to take action against MMEA officers if it is proven they used excessive force in the shooting incident in Tanjung Rhu, Banting.

According to Antara News, Indonesia's Deputy Minister of Migrant Worker Protection, Christina Aryani, said the Malaysian government was asked to investigate the shooting incident involving enforcement officers and five Indonesian nationals.

Selangor police later confirmed that provocations were made by the group of undocumented Indonesian immigrants, leading to the death of one and injuries to four others after being shot by Malaysian enforcement officers in the waters of Tanjung Rhu, Banting.

Selangor police chief Datuk Hussein Omar Khan reported that the investigation found indications that the boat carrying MMEA members was rammed, and the investigation of the immigrants' boat found two machetes, with statements from 14 MMEA members already recorded.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Welfare Dept to take custody of baby who tested positive for drugs
Scammers shifting to RCS, iMessage to spread phishing URLs, says MCMC
Putrajaya to prevent future disputes over Sabah blue economy
Anwar to attend Annual Leaders' Consultation during two-day working visit to Brunei
Driver killed after lorry crashes into drain near Ayer Hitam school
Melaka BN being courted like a 'maiden' ahead of state polls, says Ab Rauf
Anwar to make important announcements on Aug 30, Sept 16
Kedah MB's ex-political secretary ordered to enter defence in bribery case
Ex-1MDB CEO doesn't know why allegations in separate suit changed, court hears
SC wins suit, five individuals ordered to pay RM103.75mil

Others Also Read