Malaysia's medical tourism boom sparks concerns over fake clinics, says Saifuddin


KULIM: Malaysia's growing reputation as a medical tourism destination has led to concerns over the emergence of fake clinics and counterfeit doctor certificates, says Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail.

He said Malaysia's healthcare sector, particularly in Penang, Melaka, and Johor, has attracted significant attention from neighbouring countries, especially Indonesia.

"High demand has led to issues such as fake clinics and counterfeit doctor certificates. However, our system is robust enough to detect such fraudulent activities," he said during a programme at Sekolah Kebangsaan Sungai Karangan here on Saturday (Jan 25).

He added that the Immigration Department, which issues medical visas, has identified instances of misuse involving fake medical certificates and unlicenced clinics. The department, he assured, will continue to handle visa applications with care to prevent abuse.

On Friday (Jan 24), it was reported that the Malaysian Immigration Department, in collaboration with the Health Ministry, arrested 10 Bangladeshi men in a raid on clinics operated by foreign doctors at nine locations in the federal capital.

In a separate matter, Saifuddin addressed the Football Association of Malaysia's (FAM) application for citizenship for four heritage players, stating that a decision would be made within a month.

"A review process will be conducted first to determine the category of the application, specifically whether the applicants have blood ties with Malaysian citizens," he said.

Earlier on Saturday, FAM confirmed that the four heritage players, intended to strengthen the national football team, are awaiting final government approval. FAM also confirmed that documentation is being finalised for four additional players. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026
Floods: 245 evacuated in Tawau
MCA open to work with ex-Bersatu members
Pangolin still in danger despite reduced threat in Sabah
Economic opportunities for Penang predicted to prosper mid-2026
Broader statutory body to oversee premium crops
Shattered dreams behind the bridal veil
Easing financial hardships�
Displaced families seek refuge as rains continue
Flood response in full swing

Others Also Read