Attorney General's Chambers accepts defence representations in child assault case


SEREMBAN: The Attorney General's Chambers have accepted representations from the defence for three teacher assistants at a madrasah facing charges of sexually assaulting underage boys.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Rasyidah Murni Adzmi told Sessions Court Judge Surita Budin that the three will be offered alternative charges under Section 377E of the Penal Code for the offences.

The accused - Muhammad Habib Noh Mohd Zairi, 21, Muhammad Khunais Fathie Khabil, 20, and Muhammad Fawzun Azim Ismail, 20 - face 17 charges of sexually assaulting boys aged between nine and 13 at the centre.

Section 377E of the Penal Code states that anyone who incites a child under 14 to an act of gross indecency shall be punished with imprisonment between three and 15 years and whipping.

In September last year, the three claimed trial to the charges before Judge Surita.

Muhammad Habib Noh and Muhammad Fawzun were each charged with four counts under Section 14(a) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017, while Muhammad Khunais faced six charges.

Muhammad Habib Noh was also charged with one count under Section 14(b) of the same legislation, while Muhammad Fawzun faced two counts.

They allegedly committed the offences at the madrasah in Kuala Pilah between 2022 and 2023.

Both provisions carry a jail term of up to 20 years and whipping upon conviction.

Defence counsel Datuk Hanif Hassan told the court he needed to discuss the matter with his clients before making a decision.

The court has fixed Feb 14 for the next mention.

Judge Surita also ruled that the case of a fourth teacher assistant, Ahmad Nadzful Izham Azizan, 22, charged with the three last September, would be heard on Feb 14.

Ahmad Nadzful pleaded not guilty to three charges under Section 14(a) of the Act.

In total, the four were charged with sexually assaulting nine boys.

Outside the court, DPP Rasyidah said her team had only received representations for three of the four accused from the defence.

"So, on Feb 14, the court will hear if the three accused are going to accept the alternative charge or otherwise.

"If they do not, then the charges under the principal offence remain under the Sexual Offences for Children Act," she said.

Ahmad Nadzful and Muhammad Fawzun are out on bail, while the other two accused were sent to the Puncak Alam Correctional Centre as they were unable to raise bail.

The four were among those arrested following raids by Bukit Aman's Criminal Investigation Department at 20 charity homes in Selangor and Negri Sembilan linked to GISB Holdings in September.

A total of 402 children and teenagers, including 201 boys and 201 girls aged from one to 17, were rescued during the operation.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Federal Territories PAS drafting manifesto 'drawn from the grassroots up'
No M'sians affected by southern Thailand violence, Wisma Putra confirms
Haze causing spike in asthma, upper respiratory illness cases, says Health Minister
Snakes were my brother's lifelong passion, says sister of late Civil Defence sergeant
Voters prioritise results over manifestos, slogans, says Mah
Scrap storage yard in Klang razed in fire
Melaka polls: Any tie-up with PH to be decided by BN top leadership, says Dr Wee
Anwar approves additional RM1mil for Hindu crematorium project in Bagan, says PHEB
GOF nabs four, seizes RM1.1mil worth of gold mining equipment
IIUM strips controversial academic of titles following April dismissal

Others Also Read