Dr Zaliha stays mum on calls to disclose Najib's pardon deliberations


-Bernama filepic

KUALA LUMPUR: Federal Territories Minister Dr Zaliha Mustafa (pic) was non-committal regarding calls for the Federal Territories Pardons Board (FTPB) to publicise its deliberations on Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s pardon application.

"Later, later, later," she said when approached by reporters after the launch of the Malaysian Economic Forum 2025 on Thursday (Jan 8).

ALSO READ: Najib succeeds in 'royal addendum' appeal, granted leave to initiate judicial review of sentence

Dr Zaliha, a member of the FTPB, which is presided over by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, was asked to comment on the suggestion.

On Wednesday (Jan 7), Prime Minister’s senior political secretary Datuk Seri Shamsul Iskandar Akin urged the government to release the minutes of the FTPB meeting held on Jan 29 last year.

Shamsul argued that making the minutes public would put an end to speculations regarding Najib's royal pardon and the arrest addendum issued by the 16th Yang di-Pertuan Agong.

The FTPB convened to discuss Najib's royal pardon application submitted in September 2022.

ALSO READ: ‘Royal addendum — leave it to court’

His sentence was reduced to six years, and the fine was lowered to RM50mil after he filed a petition for a royal pardon.

In July 2020, the High Court sentenced Najib to 12 years in prison with a fine of RM210mil in the SRC International case.

On Monday (Jan 6), Najib's lawyer Tan Sri Shafee Abdullah obtained leave from the Court of Appeal for a judicial review concerning the house arrest addendum as part of the royal pardon granted by the former King.

The addendum was reportedly sent by Istana Negara to former Attorney-General Tan Sri Ahmad Terrirudin Mohd Salleh on Jan 29 last year.

Both Terrirudin and his successor Tan Sri Dusuki Mokhtar have remained silent on the issue when questioned by reporters at an event in Putrajaya on Wednesday (Jan 8).

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Escaped Immigration detainees easily identifiable with bright green uniforms, shaved heads
Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'
No guerrilla incursion into Kelantan following south Thai attacks, says GOF
Second boy found drowned, search operation in Keningau ends
Almost RM730mil spent on welfare aid for seniors, OKU, chronically ill this year
Sabah eyes promoting fishing as an international niche sports tourism product
Police issue 75 summonses, seize 31 bikes in anti-illegal racing ops on Second Link
Four nabbed, 3.4 tonnes of cooking oil seized in raid on smuggling ring in Terengganu
Pedestrian killed crossing SPRINT Highway near Damansara toll

Others Also Read