Two charged with possession of banned Al-Arqam publications to submit representation


KUALA LUMPUR: A female member of GISB Holdings Sdn Bhd (GISBH) and an entrepreneur suspected of being a GISBH member, both charged with possession of banned publications related to Al-Arqam, will submit their representation to the Attorney General's Chambers (AGC) seeking to have the charges against them dropped.

Lawyer Boestamam Ahmad, representing Aishah Bula Tajudin, 61, and Mohammad Nazif Jamluddin, 50, informed the matter during the mention of their respective cases in separate Magistrates' Courts here on Wednesday (Jan 8).

In the case involving Aishah, which came up for mention before Magistrate Farah Nabihah Mohammad Dan, Boestamam told the court that the representation would be filed soon after the defence had examined all related documents obtained from the prosecution.

"The accused apologised to the court for not being able to attend today. She is still depressed by her husband's death on Dec 18,” said Aishah’s lawyer on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, in the court before Magistrate S. Mageswary, Boestamam also informed the Magistrate that his client (Mohammad Nazif) would be sending a representation to the AGC for the same purpose.

"We just received documents regarding this case on the last date, and we were also instructed to submit a representation. The accused (Mohammad Nazif) was only a cook who provided catering service at the scene (Ekhwan Catering). So, a representation will be submitted to the AGC to explain the matter," he said.

Both courts then set Feb 19 to know the representations submitted by the two accused.

Aishah,60, was charged with possessing the publications which included "Darul Arqam 25 Tahun Perjuangan Abuya Syeikh Imarn Ashaari Muhammad At-Tamimi”, "Khutbah Aidilfitri 1413 Hijrah”, "Siri Terkini Era Kasih Sayang”, "Abuya Pemimpin Kasih Sayang” and "Abuya Ashaari Muhammad Pemimpin Paling Ajaib di Zamannya”.

The offence was allegedly committed at a premises in Kampung Sungai Penchala, Brickfields here, at 11.30 am on Sept 21 last year.

The charge was framed under Section 8 (1) of the Printing Presses and Publications Act 1984 which provides a maximum fine of RM5,000 upon conviction.

Mohammad Nazif, 49, was charged with possessing two banned publications related to Al-Arqam titled "Perang Teluk Islam akan Kembali Gemilang” and "Meruntuh Berhala di Tiongkok”.

He was charged with committing the offence at Ekhwan Catering, Kampung Sungai Penchala in Brickfields here, at 10.30am on the same day.

Deputy public prosecutors Muhammad Zulhilmi Latif and Amritpreet Kaur Randhawa conducted the prosecution on Wednesday. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Federal Territories PAS drafting manifesto 'drawn from the grassroots up'
No M'sians affected by southern Thailand violence, Wisma Putra confirms
Haze causing spike in asthma, upper respiratory illness cases, says Health Minister
Snakes were my brother's lifelong passion, says sister of late Civil Defence sergeant
Voters prioritise results over manifestos, slogans, says Mah
Scrap storage yard in Klang razed in fire
Melaka polls: Any tie-up with PH to be decided by BN top leadership, says Dr Wee
Anwar approves additional RM1mil for Hindu crematorium project in Bagan, says PHEB
GOF nabs four, seizes RM1.1mil worth of gold mining equipment
IIUM strips controversial academic of titles following April dismissal

Others Also Read