GISB: Islamic religious councils take action focusing on syariah crimes


KUALA LUMPUR: The Islamic religious councils in several states have taken action against followers of Global Ikhwan Services and Business Holdings (GISB) suspected of committing various criminal offences.

The Selangor Islamic Religious Department (Jais) announced in a statement on Wednesday (Oct 2) that it has so far detained 108 individuals suspected to be involved with GISB, believed to have committed syariah crimes involving matters of faith, collecting donations without permission, and marriage issues.

ALSO READ: Fatwa committee to brief Selangor Sultan on GISB decision

Jais director Mohd Shahzihan Ahmad said the arrests would continue to involve suspected and identified individuals based on intelligence, complaints, and information received by the department.

He said investigations revealed that several aspects of the suspects' practices and beliefs contradicted enforced fatwa (edicts).

Mohd Shahzihan said Jais also found that the members' marriages and divorces were arranged by the group leaders, who also dictated the marriage solemnisation process, in addition to the lack of valid documentation or registration of marriages.

ALSO READ: GISB probe: Action regarding issue to be taken after comprehensive report, says minister

Jais also found that divorces and polygamous marriages within the group were done without the permission of the relevant authorities and Syariah Court, he added.

In the meantime, the Johor Islamic Religious Council (Mainj) has established a Special Committee for the Rehabilitation of Followers of GISB, tasked with developing initiatives for restoring religious faith (aqidah).

Johor Mentri Besar Datuk Onn Hafiz Ghazi said the committee would also coordinate educational needs, housing, and assistance for the children of GISB followers.

He added that Mainj would also use existing enactments and work with the Islamic Development Department of Malaysia (Jakim) to review and make determinations regarding GISB's status.

ALSO READ: GISB: 108 people nabbed by Jais so far

Meanwhile, the Terengganu state government will adopt a more cautious approach in the sealing of business premises owned by the group.

Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Samsuri Mokhtar stated that the process would take some time as consultations with religious and legal authorities will be necessary before deciding on the next steps.

Ahmad Samsuri previously indicated that decisions on cancelling or suspending the licence would depend on the outcomes of the recent National Council for Islamic Religious Affairs (MKI) Muzakarah Committee meeting.

In early September, the police launched Ops Global, raiding charity homes across Peninsular Malaysia linked to GISB, which were suspected of being involved in the exploitation of children and religion.

The raids resulted in the rescue of 572 victims and the arrest of 359 GISBH followers, including the group's top management. — Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Federal Territories PAS drafting manifesto 'drawn from the grassroots up'
No M'sians affected by southern Thailand violence, Wisma Putra confirms
Haze causing spike in asthma, upper respiratory illness cases, says Health Minister
Snakes were my brother's lifelong passion, says sister of late Civil Defence sergeant
Voters prioritise results over manifestos, slogans, says Mah
Scrap storage yard in Klang razed in fire
Melaka polls: Any tie-up with PH to be decided by BN top leadership, says Dr Wee
Anwar approves additional RM1mil for Hindu crematorium project in Bagan, says PHEB
GOF nabs four, seizes RM1.1mil worth of gold mining equipment
IIUM strips controversial academic of titles following April dismissal

Others Also Read