Grass cutter gets 42 years in jail, 30 strokes of cane for raping 12-year-old sister-in-law


KUALA TERENGGANU: A grass cutter was sentenced to 42 years in prison and 30 strokes of the cane on Sunday (Sept 8) after being found guilty of three counts of raping his sister-in-law three years ago.

Sessions Court Judge Nooriah Osman handed down the sentence to the 39-year-old defendant following the conclusion of his defence proceedings.

According to the charges, the father of two was accused of raping the victim, who was 12-years-old at the time, once in February and twice in July 2021 at a house in Marang.

The defendant was charged under Section 376(3) of the Penal Code, which carries an imprisonment of between eight and 30 years, as well as a minimum of 10 strokes of the cane upon conviction.

Judge Nooriah emphasised that the defendant warranted a severe and appropriate sentence due to the gravity of the offence and the familial ties between him and the victim.

She sentenced him to 14 years in prison and 10 strokes of the cane for each charge. The first sentence will start from the date of conviction, while the second and third sentences will run concurrently after the first sentence is completed.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Noradila Ab Latif appeared for the prosecution. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Timah Tasoh Dam hits critical level as Perlis prepares cloud-seeding
Man, 62, arrested for beating 80-year-old neighbor with steel rod in Penang
Umno will not enter PN pact in Melaka blindly, says Zahid
10 undocumented migrants flee Tanah Merah Immigration Depot, says Police
After Anwar's open invitation, Tian Chua hopes PKR will reinstate him as a member
90 heat-related illness cases reported so far this year, says Health Minister
Neighbor recalls how he scaled 7 stories to save trapped senior
Probe Felda but don't persecute or humiliate anyone, says Ahmad Zahid
Teacher transferred after allegedly hitting 12-year-old pupil with shoe in Penang
Haze: Affected schools in Sarawak to reopen on Aug 24

Others Also Read