KL sinkhole: SAR for victim will continue until there is a new directive, says Fahmi


Photo: Bernama

KUALA LUMPUR: The search and rescue (SAR) operation for the missing sinkhole victim will continue until there is a further directive, says Fahmi Fadzil.

The Communications Minister and Lembah Pantai MP said this when asked if the SAR would continue despite the upcoming National Day.

“I have seen the dedication of the SAR team in terms of their technicalities as well,” he said, adding that issues related to the welfare of the SAR team will also be looked into.

Fahmi, who was visiting the Pantai 1 Sewage Treatment Plant here on Tuesday (Aug 27), said he had been briefed by the National Disaster Management Agency (Nadma) and the Fire and Rescue Department on the SAR operations for Vijayalaksmi, 48.

“I was made to understand that the waste will end here and will not go beyond this location,” he said, adding that the waste of some 400,000 city dwellers was managed at the Pantai 1 facility while the remaining 1.4 million will be handled in the Pantai 2 facility.

“This is the end point. The distance between the first manhole and here is about 7km,” he said,

The search for Vijayalaksmi, a tourist from India, has now entered its fifth day.

She fell into the 8m-deep sinkhole on Jalan Masjid India after the ground gave way when she was walking to a nearby temple at 8.22am on Friday (Aug 23).

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

KL police launch bullying probe into 14-year-old female student's death
Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam call centre raid released, returns home
Man suffers burns in Semporna hotel restaurant fire
Activists push for nationwide independent bloc ahead of GE
Fear of heights freezes two men on 14th-floor ledge before firefighters intervene
Six new Sembulan–Kinarut railway halts to open in October
Johor International Book Bazaar aims for 500,000 visitors, says exco
Police step up patrols after two gold shop robberies in Pahang
Malaysia, Brunei agree to use Asean mechanism to tackle transboundary haze
Education Ministry approves RM2mil for immediate repairs for collapsed SMK Juasseh roof

Others Also Read