High Court overturns RM700,000 award, allows appeal by crypto e-wallet provider


SHAH ALAM: The High Court here has allowed an appeal by crypto e-wallet provider Luno Malaysia to overturn a RM700,000 award granted to a businessman in a negligence lawsuit last year.

High Court Judicial Commissioner Hazizah Kassim said in her decision that there were no security flaws committed by the company following allegations that a user's account was hacked.

The court also said that the Sessions Court, where the lawsuit was filed, had set an excessively high standard of security care and that there was insufficient evidence in the case.

On Aug 28, 2021, Yew filed a lawsuit against Luno for failing to safeguard the cryptocurrency in his Luno account.

He said money in the account was transferred out in three tranches by an unidentified hacker on March 6, 2021.

According to Yew's claims, RM566,570.70 in his Luno account was used in three transactions to buy 2.730096 Bitcoins (BTCs), describing these as illegal transactions that were carried out in a short span of time.

Yew claimed that Luno was negligent and that the company had a duty to take care of the funds based on its business expertise.

On Oct 30, last year, the Petaling Jaya's Sessions Court ordered the company to compensate Yew of RM598,000, the amount withdrawn by an unknown hacker from his account and RM100,000 in exemplary damages.

In a statement on Monday (July 29), Luno said that as a regulated digital asset exchange platform registered with the Securities Commission (SC), the company has always upheld the levels of regulatory compliance and customer security.

"Luno security features operated as they were designed to, with all account security features being successfully passed (including two-factor authentication) with each transaction being authorised via an SMS authorisation link sent to the plaintiff's (Yew's) mobile phone.

"The case also emphasises the need for customers to maintain the security of their own email accounts, mobile services, and passwords," it said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Teenage girl reported missing during hike in Tanjong Malim
Pakatan forms three sub-committees to gear up Penang for GE16
PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai
Bukit Aman to investigate those linked to discovery of prohibited items at Ipoh HQ lock-up
Police step up traffic management as Aidiladha exodus builds up in Gua Musang
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in nine states until 7pm (May 24)
Raya exodus commences; traffic building up on several major expressways

Others Also Read