Architects from other countries welcome to participate in public market design competitions, says Nga


IPOH: Architects from other countries will be welcomed to take part in future public market architectural design competitions, says Nga Kor Ming.

The Housing and Local Government Minister said he would open up the competition internationally to look for the best designs.

"If anyone from Paris, London or Bangkok wants to compete, they are welcome.

"I've always said that Malaysia deserves nothing less," he said in a press conference after launching the Pasir Pinji temporary market here on Sunday (July 28).

He said design competitions had been held for the redevelopment of Pasir Pinji wet market here and Pasar Awam Bukit Mertajam in Penang.

"The winner would be appointed as the consultant for the respective projects.

"This should be the new way of thinking," he added.

On the new Pasir Pinji market, Nga said construction is expected to begin this year and to be completed by 2027.

He said about RM14mil would be allocated for the project.

"It will be the first market with green features," he said.

"When completed, it can be a tourist attraction and the pride of the city," he added.

Nga also said that the Menglembu and Buntong wet markets here would be the next targets for redevelopment.

"Both these markets have more than 50 years of history.

"If it can be done, then Ipoh can be the city with the most attractive markets," he said.

When asked whether there would be a timeframe to redevelop the two markets, Nga said it would depend on the respective assemblymen to work hard for it.

"With a track record of our success story in Pasir Pinji, I think it will be easier to convince the traders in Buntong and Menglembu.

"There will be another competition that will be organised by a professional architect association to ensure transparency," he added.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

DAP special congress is part of party's internal process, says Fahmi
Sabah flood: Number of victims increased to 3,768 people at noon
Prioritise welfare of police personnel, says Dr Wan Azizah
Traffic slows on major expressways as at noon
Building tech ecosystem to help Perak SMEs compete
Woman who stabbed mother remanded seven days
Rafizi to proceed with lawsuit against Caprice over alleged defamation
Body of drowned Chinese national found
All govt agencies mobilised to assist flood victims in Sabah, says Zahid
Three more suspended in HRD Corp governance reset

Others Also Read