Sg Bakap polls: Rally will not affect by-election campaign, says Saifuddin


NIBONG TEBAL: The "Rakyat Tolak Anwar" gathering in Putrajaya on Saturday (June 29) will not affect the momentum of the Pakatan Harapan machinery for the Sungai Bakap state by-election.

Instead, Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said the rally demonstrates Malaysia's respect for the public's right to assemble peacefully and criticise the government.

He further noted that it illustrates everyone's opportunity to voice their opinions without interference.

"The freedom they enjoy today is proof that under the Malaysian government led by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and the Madani approach, opportunities are provided to respect the rights of every citizen."

He said this to reporters after officiating at the "Xpresi Generasi Kita: Solidariti Bersama Dadah” programme organised by the National Anti-Drug Agency (AADK) at Dewan Chang Kuang, Sungai Bakap on Saturday evening.

Earlier this afternoon, about 250 participants dressed in black gathered in the parking area of the Seri Perdana Complex to present eight demands to the government, including the reinstatement of diesel subsidies and the prevention of increases in the prices of RON95 petrol and gas. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Anwar takes over Pandan as adopted constituency
Supporters gather in KLIA to welcome Global Sumud Flotilla activists’ return
Shots fired at suspects attempting to ram policemen
Traffic builds up on major highways as holiday travellers return
Malaysian citizen confirmed dead in Philippine building collapse
Bersatu claims PAS failed to work together to resolve Perlis, NS crises
Two killed in road collision near Bagan Serai
We are the moderate brand that gave you votes, Bersatu tells PAS off
Don’t poke into our internal affairs, Bersatu tells PAS
Defence Ministry mulling offers to replace cancelled Norwegian missile deal

Others Also Read