Probe to find out real suspect behind Zayn Rayyan’s death continues, says lawyer


PETALING JAYA: The police will continue with the murder probe of six-year-old Zayn Rayyan Abdul Matiin even though his parents have been charged with child negligence, says defence lawyer.

Fahmi Abd Moin who is representing Zayn Rayyan’s father, Zaim Ikhwan Zahari, said investigation will resume to find out the real suspect of the case.

“Today, the charges were made under Section 31 of the Child Act 2001. But the investigation under Section 302 of the Penal Code (for murder) has never stopped.

“Police will continue their investigation to find out the real culprit. This is what the family and public wants to know,” he said in a press conference at the Petaling Jaya Magistrate’s Court here on Thursday (June 13).

When asked on the possibility of the parents being charged with murder at a later date, Fahmi said it would depend on further investigations by the police.

“We cannot comment as it falls within the jurisdiction of the prosecutor,” he added.

Mahmud Jumaat, who is the lawyer representing Zayn Rayyan’s mother, Ismanira Abdul Manaf, said the child negligent charge against the parents was based on witness statements and evidence.

“The charge under the Child Act was probably based on the witness statements recorded and the evidence presented, leading the prosecutor to decide on charging under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001,” he said at the same press conference.

Earlier, Zaim Ikhwan Zahari and Ismanira Abdul Manaf were jointly charged, as persons having the care of Zayn Rayyan, to have neglected him in a manner likely to cause him physical injury.

The offence was allegedly committed around Jalan PJU, Damansara Damai, near here, between 12pm on Dec 5 and 9.55pm on Dec 6, last year.

The couple was charged under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001, read together with Section 34 of the Penal Code, and face a maximum fine of RM50,000 or imprisonment of up to 20 years or both, upon conviction.

The couple said they understood the charge and pleaded not guilty.

They were allowed a RM10,000 bail in one surety each.

Around noon today, the couple were released on bail paid by their family members at the court complex.

Members of the family were also seen hugging each other following the couple’s release.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Sarawak not neglecting nation's interests in pursuit of MA63 rights, says Abang Jo
PM announces RM10,000 reward for each national sepak takraw player, coach
Two civil servants arrested for accepting RM10,000 bribe
Lorry caught on fire on Elite Highway
Search for Albertine: Concerned Malaysians offer up to RM70,000 for information
Penang DCM takes leave to treat lingering ankle injury
Esha's mum backs Fahmi's decision to take social media platforms to task over toxic content
Meta apologises over translation error by Facebook relating to King's installation
Successful rescue of lost tapir in Kajang
AirAsia fully recovers from tech outage, resumes normal operations

Others Also Read