JB High Court sets May 20 for decision on Chegubard gag order


JOHOR BARU: The Johor Baru High Court has set May 20 to decide on a gag order against Bersatu Information Bureau Committee member Badrul Hisham Shaharin or Chegubard concerning the casino project in Forest City.

Lawyer Muhammad Rafique Rashid Ali, who represented Badrul Hisham, said that Judge Datuk Abu Bakar Katar made the decision after hearing arguments from the prosecution and defence on Thursday (May 16).

He said the prosecution applied for a review of a gag order against his client from making or issuing any statements related to the case after the Sessions Court rejected the application on April 30.

"The Sessions Court judge (previously) rejected the gag order application, but the public prosecutor was not satisfied with the judge’s decision.

"The public prosecutor has applied under Section 323 of the Criminal Procedure Code, for a review at the Johor Bahru High Court on Thursday to set aside the order,” he said at a press conference at the court compound here on Thursday.

On April 30, Badrul Hisham pleaded not guilty in the Sessions Court here on charges of issuing seditious remarks related to the casino project in Forest City.

He is accused of making seditious remarks on his Facebook account under the name "Chegubard" at Mutiara Villa Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur at 6.30pm on April 26.

The charge is framed under Section 4(1)(c) of the Sedition Act 1948 which provides a maximum fine of RM5,000 or imprisonment not exceeding three years or both, if found guilty.

The court allowed bail of RM10,000 in one surety and rejected the gag order applied by the prosecution in addition to setting June 24 for mention. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Government ready to address weaknesses in targeted diesel subsidy, says Anwar
Slow-moving traffic on major highways ahead of Aidiladha
New MM2H participants not eligible for PR status, says Tiong
Zayn Rayyan case: MCMC identifies social media sites spreading leaked information
Two Chinese nationals with disabilities rescued from begging syndicate in JB
Government to allocate RM4bil for water management in Perak, says Anwar
Convicted murderer under probe for alleged sodomy of cellmate in KK prison
Two killed, one injured in accident in Johor Baru
Child with Down syndrome granted citizenship after eight-year wait
Sabah Water Dept probing 'acts of sabotage' in Sepanggar water supply system

Others Also Read