‘Decision a collective one’


Hello there: Dr Wee sharing a light moment with Mohamad (right) and his wife Datin Seri Raja Salbiah Tengku Nujumudin (second from right) at the Umno deputy president’s Hari Raya open house in Rantau. Looking on is Ling (left).

Chong: Various factors reviewed before deciding on KKB campaign

PETALING JAYA: MCA’s decision to sit out the Kuala Kubu Baharu campaign if Barisan Nasional does not contest the seat came about following feedback from its leaders and grassroots members, says party secretary-general Datuk Chong Sin Woon.

He explained that MCA had thoroughly reviewed various factors before arriving at the decision to only assist Barisan candidates in election campaigns.

“It was not a simple decision. All factors were considered,” he said.

Chong also said many MCA members felt slighted by DAP secretary-general Anthony Loke’s remarks at a podcast hosted by former Umno Youth chief Khairy Jamaluddin and Shahril Hamdan on April 5.

Among other things, Loke had claimed that the party had an image of not prioritising the needs of the people.

Chong said the remark by Loke had really hurt MCA members.

“And over the years, DAP has been harping on Umno, calling them racists and corrupted.”

Chong pointed out that DAP, which had urged MCA over the years to leave Barisan, had instead gone against its own words and was now cooperating with Umno.

“It is not important anymore, but the damage has been done,” said Chong.

Meanwhile, MCA Youth chief Ling Tian Soon reiterated the party’s stand, saying that the party’s youth wing will not participate in any campaigning activities.

According to Ling, MCA Youth central executive committee had discussed issues of social welfare, and the wing would focus on national development issues.

“MCA Youth will also closely monitor the performances of ministers to ensure they fulfil their duties and promises,” he added.

The Kuala Kubu Baharu constituency seat became vacant following the death of Lee Kee Hiong of DAP last month at the age of 58.

She had been the Kuala Kubu Baharu assemblyman for three terms since 2013.

On a separate matter, Ling urged the Transport Minister to take protective steps to beef up security at Kuala Lumpur International Airport in light of last week’s shooting case that happened there.

“The country is promoting Visit Malaysia 2026, and such an incident concerning safety should be taken seriously.

“It is important to restore the country’s image and assure the international community that Malaysia is a safe place to visit,” Ling said.

In the April 14 shooting case, a 38-year-old man was suspected to have opened fire at his estranged wife.

However, a bodyguard was injured instead.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Robber who slashed moneylender in Kudat nabbed
Exhibition on Hang Tuah boosted by artefact loan from Indonesian heir
Mohamad Sabu to represent country at Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi's funeral, says Anwar
Man feared drowned after being swept away on boat in Kinabatangan river
Broken pipe being repaired on Jalan Tun Razak, says Air Selangor
Man charged with obstructing cop on sentry duty in Penang police station
Dr M claims being shut out of Batu Puteh RCI proceedings
Sabah Tourism Board engages with countries that issued travel warnings to east coast
Security heightened at govt buildings, critical facilities, say police
'Mickey' acid attack: Eight sets of fingerprints lifted from scene, says IGP

Others Also Read