'GOLD' number plate revenue helps cover bus and taxi drivers' Socso contributions, says Loke


Photo: Bernama

PUTRAJAYA: Proceeds from the recent “GOLD” number plate series will be used to pay Socso contributions for taxi and bus drivers, says Transport Minister Anthony Loke.

He said some 35,000 taxi drivers and 18,000 school bus drivers will benefit from this, adding that RM17.2mil in revenue was recorded from bids for the series.

The GOLD series was launched in conjunction with the Federal Territories' 50th or golden jubilee this year.

“I met with the Socso chief executive officer yesterday, and have been made to understand that the Finance Ministry allocated about RM100mil for Socso contributions to taxi and school bus drivers.

ALSO READ: King proud owner of ‘GOLD 1’ number plate

“This works out to 90% of each driver’s Socso contribution with the remaining 10% to be topped up by the Transport Ministry.

“Hence, drivers don’t need to pay a single sen in Socso contributions for the coming year, and only have to register themselves,” Loke told a press conference at the ministry after its monthly assembly here on Friday (Feb 23).

Loke added that the Land Public Transport Agency (Apad) will provide the database of taxi drivers to Socso, with the initiative to be launched in March.

“The coverage will be for a year, and possibly later years if there are allocations from the Finance Ministry,” he said.

He pointed out that other initiatives such as FlySiswa, or subsidised flight tickets for students to return home during festive seasons and other occasions, will be also continued through revenue from special number plate bids.

Loke said some RM5.07bil in revenue was generated by the Road Transport Department (JPJ) last year, a 5.3% increase from RM4.9bil in 2022.

He added that revenue from special number plate bids raked in some RM569.6mil last year.

“This is good as bidding increases government revenue in a transparent manner.

“We will introduce special number plates from time to time,” he added.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

De-escalate Mid-East situation, keep Palestinian objective in mind, says Wisma Putra
KLIA shooting: Target advised against making statements on incident
Three nabbed for robbing convenience store in Kota Kinabalu suburb
9mm semi-automatic used in KLIA shooting, says IGP
Build Labuan-Sabah bridge, says Kadazandusun Chambers of Commerce and Industry (KCCI)
Police reports lodged over social media post insulting King
Traffic congestion in Gua Musang as people head back to KL
KLIA shooting victim is in critical condition, says wife
Iran's attack on Israel: Wisma Putra must monitor safety of Malaysians, says Fadillah
Raya rush: Slow-moving traffic on major expressways

Others Also Read