Public urged to avoid eating shellfish from Kota Kinabalu waters


KOTA KINABALU: Sabah Fisheries Department has warned the public against picking or consuming shellfish from Kota Kinabalu waters or risk paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP).

Its director Azhar Kassim issued a notice on Sunday (Dec 10) after confirming high levels of contaminants in the Likas Bay area.

He warned that consuming contaminated shellfish like cockles and mussels could be harmful.

Symptoms of PSP include tingling, numbness and burning sensations in the mouth, lips and tongue, followed by headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting.

In severe cases, it could lead to respiratory paralysis, coma or even death.

Certain types of microalgae produce harmful toxins that accumulate in shellfish.

The department said they would continue to monitor the situation and advise the public from time to time.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Job termination tops court cases
New tax regime kicks in tomorrow
Loo says Jho Low went from friend to foe
Lifting burdens, elevating dreams
Call to implement shift system for public healthcare doctors
Shore power for greener cruises
Muhyiddin’s acquittal overturned
Leaping for joy on their birthdays
Free HPV vaccines well received
Immigration busts Rohingya smuggling ring

Others Also Read