GEORGE TOWN: A stop work order has been issued for the construction of the logistics warehouse which collapsed on Tuesday (Nov 28), says Penang Island City Council (MBPP) mayor Datuk A. Rajendran.
"The consultant engineer is on site to advice on the search and recovery (of the victims).
"We have issued a stop work notice to developer and principle submitting architect," he told reporters Wednesday (Nov 29).
Rajendran, however, denied that the project's completion was either delayed or rushing for completion.
"This is a fast track project using technology and was not rushed.
"As this area is out of a residential zone, they are allowed to work at night," he added.
Meanwhile, search and recovery efforts are ongoing at the site.
The current number of victims still missing stands at four, said to be pinned under the rubble where a building under construction had collapsed at about 9.45pm on Tuesday.
Rescuers have found five victims so far.
Two of them were found dead at the scene, another died on his way to hospital while two others, who were seriously injured, are being treated in Penang Hospital.
Penang deputy police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Mohamed Usuf Jan Mohamad said a large beam measuring about 12m long and weighing about 14 tonnes had fallen and knocked down 14 other beams at the site during the incident.
He said there were 18 workers assigned to the site but nine of them had gone out for prayers during the incident, leaving the remaining nine at the site.
All workers are Bangladeshi nationals.