IPOH: Two victims have been rushed to the hospital following an ammonia gas leak at an ice factory in Persiaran Industri Rapat Simpang Pulai.
Perak Fire and Rescue Department Hazardous Materials (Hazmat) officer Akmar Hisham Basor said they received the distress call at 5.11am Tuesday (Sept 19).
“Upon our arrival, the factory supervisor informed us about the pipe leak and said that the smell could be detected (up to) 100m away.
“The two victims were identified as Nazirah Mohamad, 33, and Muhammad Azizuddin Azni, 25.
"They had trouble breathing and were rushed to the hospital for immediate treatment,” he said in a statement.
Akmar Hisham said the two victims were reportedly in stable condition and were still receiving treatment at the emergency department.
“Our unit set up a water curtain and a team entered the hot zone in order to close the tank valve.
“We managed to bring the leak under control by 10am,” he added.