The 1975 left country even before report lodged against them, says Deputy IGP

KUALA LUMPUR: British band The 1975 had already left the country long before the initial report was lodged against them, says the Deputy Inspector-General of Police.

When met at Bukit Aman on Tuesday (July 25), after a sending off ceremony for police athletes, Datuk Seri Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay addressed claims of police inaction to catch the band members after the incident, saying that the first report was lodged at 2pm on July 22, which was hours after the band had flown out of the country.

“There are those that question why the police did not act quickly. This incident occurred on July 21 at 11.30pm and we understand that the concert was stopped soon after.

ALSO READ: The 1975 frontman Matty Healy unremorseful for actions on stage

“The band then left the country the very next morning at 5.30am so it was only six hours before they flew off.

"The report was made at 2pm so by the time it was made, we were already unable to take action because they had already left,” he said.

As of Tuesday, a total of 18 police reports have been lodged about the incident, with eight made in Selangor.

Thirteen statements have been recorded including from the organisers and Puspal.

ALSO READ: The 1975 have left the country, says S'gor top cop

“If there is any charging in the future, we will contact our counterparts in the United Kingdom,” he said, adding that they would also contact their counterparts for assistance in their investigations.

He added that only cases such as murder would compel the Interpol to issue Red Notices.

“I am confident that going forward, Puspal will be more careful,” he said.

He added that if future invited acts were found to be involved in controversy or if they did not mesh with the culture of the country, it would be best if they were not invited to perform here.

On Friday (July 21), band singer Matty Healy started ranting on stage about the country’s LGBTQ laws before locking lips with bassist Ross MacDonald at the Good Vibes Festival at the Sepang International Circuit.

Organisers pulled the plug on the band’s performance and the remaining two days of the music festival were cancelled by the Communications and Digital Ministry.

In an unrelated matter, Comm Ayob Khan said investigations were ongoing into the case of former 1Malaysia Development Bhd’s (1MDB) lawyer Jasmine Loo Ai Swan.

“So far, there aren't any new developments. We are still investigating,” he said.

On July 12, Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail confirmed that the police had detained Loo on July 7 to assist in investigations into 1MDB.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

KLIA shooting: Bodyguard had successful five-hour surgery, says wife
Sabah's Babagon dam at healthy level, says Shahelmey
Appeals court upholds 20-year jail sentence on man for raping 7-year-old granddaughter
Combat diving pool delayed due to wiring sub-contractor's failure, says Defence Minister
Abdul Kadir's defamation suit against Aliff Syukri to begin on Jan 6, 2026
Jentayu hopes to sign PPA for Sipitang hydropower plant by mid-year
I was never investigated, yet MACC claims I committed a crime, says Dr M
Uphold unity and steer clear of 3R issues, Malaysians advised
Johor proposes elevated Autonomous Rapid Transit to reduce traffic congestion
Sabah set to sell carbon credits through Kuamut project

Others Also Read