Ahmad Zahid confident MCA, MIC will remain with Barisan despite offer from another party


KUALA LUMPUR: Barisan Nasional chairman Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi remains confident that MCA and MIC will remain in Barisan although there has been an offer to join another party ahead of the coming state elections in six states.

Ahmad Zahid who was also the Umno president said the party that made the offer was known to take opportunities whenever there was an election, including a by-election or General Election (GE).

"Whenever there is a by-election and state election or more commonly during General Election, they (said party) will start making offers to other parties to join them, but I am confident MCA and MIC will remain with BN," he said.

Ahmad Zahid was speaking to reporters after launching the 2023 National Entrepreneur Week (MUN) and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise Week (PMKS) at Dataran Merdeka, here on Sunday (July 9).

The Barisan chairman who was asked to comment on the action of Perikatan Nasional’s election director Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor’s offer to MCA and MIC, urging both parties to join the pact for the coming state elections, he said both parties had been an integral part of Barisan.

When asked about the decision by former Putrajaya deputy Umno chief Datuk Tun Faisal Ismail Aziz’s decision to join Bersatu on Saturday (July 9), Ahmad Zahid wished him "all the best” and stressed that Umno and Barisan only needed loyal leaders.

Speaking of a statement by DAP chairman Lim Guan Eng who claimed that a 'Green Wave' would destroy Buddhist temples as per a report by a Chinese daily (China Press), Ahmad Zahid said such a statement was repeated to tarnish the image of Lim.

"I read the report, it had happened a long time ago, but repeated to tarnish the name of Lim Guan Eng. I feel even if we have different political ideology, the difference will be based on good morality in politics but should not retort to character assassination," he said. - Bernama

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

KL OCPDs must be more hands on, city's top cop says
State polls: No problem retaining Penang, Negri Sembilan and S'gor, says Rafizi
State polls: Selangor will lose out if not under unity govt, says Zahid
State polls: Kota Anggerik voters want better public transport, says PAS candidate
State polls: Umno voters now support Perikatan, says Peja
State polls: Early voters to fulfill their responsibilities on Aug 8
Intel shows S’gor no longer a Pakatan stronghold, claims Azmin
I wasn’t asleep for the past seven months, says Anwar
Penang's new ferry service begins with first passengers
Elon Musk wanted to meet me, says Anwar

Others Also Read