Couple let off on technicality charged again with abusing four-year-old boy

  • Nation
  • Thursday, 08 Jun 2023

JOHOR BARU: A married couple who were earlier given a discharge not amounting to an acquittal for abusing their four-year-old son who later died have been charged again at the Sessions Court here.

The boy's stepfather, S. Nagendran, and mother, A. Sangeetha, both 23, pleaded not guilty when the charge under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001 was read in front of Judge VM Mabel Sheela.

ALSO READ: Couple charged with abusing boy let off on a technicality

According to the charge sheet, to achieve a common end, the duo acted negligently towards the child in their care, which might have caused physical injury to him.

They were accused of committing the offence at Skudai Villa Apartment, Jalan Aman, Taman Skudai Baru here at 12.30am on Friday (April 28).

The charge was read together with Section 34 of the Penal Code. If convicted, they could be slapped with a maximum fine of RM50,000 or sentenced to up to 20 years in jail or both.

The case was prosecuted by Deputy Public Prosecutor S Thiviya while the couple was not represented by a lawyer.

Judge Mabel Sheela set bail at RM7,000 with one surety each and set July 11 for next mention.

They are also required to report to the police station once a month, not to disturb witnesses and to surrender their passports.

As at press time, the couple had yet to pay bail.

On Wednesday (June 7), the couple was given a discharge not amounting to an acquittal by the Sessions Court here.

The accused claimed trial on Wednesday in front of Judge Datuk Ahmad Kamal Arifin Ismail after earlier pleading guilty on May 3.

During Wednesday's proceedings, Judge Ahmad Kamal said the prosecution had included two distinct offences in one charge, which is duplicity.

The court then ordered the accused to be discharged but not acquitted.

It was reported that a four-year-old boy died on April 29 after he was believed to have been physically abused by his mother and stepfather.

Iskandar Puteri police chief Asst Comm Rahmat Ariffin was quoted as saying that the child was rushed to Hospital Sultanah Aminah but was pronounced dead on arrival at the emergency department at 8.20am

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Nation

Number of flood evacuees in Kedah drops to 114 people
Haze: Nine areas in Peninsula record unhealthy API readings as of 4pm
Three women escape with injuries after their car falls into a ravine
Monsoon: 332 relief centres ready to be activated in Sabah, says Armizan
It is the people’s wish that DuitNow QR fee be abolished, says Dr Wee
Don't pick candidate who can cause Pelangai 'to be apart' from gov't, says Mohamed Khaled
Cabinet reshuffle may be on the cards, says Ahmad Zahid
MACC must be free from executive influence, says PM
Revenue rights: No valid reason to withdraw lawsuit against govt, says Henrynus Amin
Rabies: Govt targets vaccinating 40,000 pets in Sarawak this year

Others Also Read