KUALA LUMPUR: The Domestic Trade and Cost of Living Ministry will extend its Ops Manis operation nationwide to ensure sufficient sugar supplies, says Datuk Seri Salahuddin Ayub.
The Minister said the operation, now dubbed Ops Manis 2.0, will be carried out until June 30, adding that the ministry also decided on three offences that could cause offenders to have their business licence canceled and blacklisted.
“This includes selling selected types of sugar with conditions, hiding stocks or selling above the set prices.
“We have also received complaints that some stores required consumers to buy premium sugar packets before being able to buy the controlled sugar items.
“This is an offence and we will not compromise on any wrongdoings and will take stern action against those that break the law,” he told a press conference in Parliament on Tuesday (June 6).
Ops Manis was previously only conducted in four states, namely Kelantan, Terengganu, Pahang and Kedah.
He added that seven cases of manipulating sugar sales were uncovered by the ministry during Ops Tiris, held from May 3 to June 5, with five cases in Kedah, one in Kelantan and another in Terengganu.
The offenders were caught selling sugar above the market price and also setting conditions for the sale of controlled sugar products, Salahuddin said.
“These sellers were compounded, had their licences suspended and were also blacklisted,” he added.