MB keeping close eye on Johor-S’pore traffic situation


JOHOR BARU: The traffic situation at the Causeway and Second Link is being closely monitored by the Johor Mentri Besar through his “eyes and ears” on the ground.

Datuk Onn Hafiz Ghazi said the Bangunan Sultan Iskandar (BSI) Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) Complex near the Causeway had seen smoother traffic flow since he conducted several spot checks there in the past two weeks.

“The public’s perception is that the traffic situation will only be smooth when I am physically there at the CIQ and that it will be congested again when I am not.

“I do not only rely on going down to the ground myself to observe the situation as I receive my own intelligence reports about the situation at BSI and Kompleks Sultan Abu Bakar CIQ near the Second Link daily.

“The people can be assured that I am continuously monitoring the situation through my eyes and ears on the ground,” he told reporters at the Johor Bersih mass gotong-royong programme in downtown Johor Baru yesterday.

Onn Hafiz added that he had been receiving positive public feedback over the past week as the majority of the lanes were now open at BSI.

“Yes, there may be one or two lanes closed due to certain issues but the majority of them are open especially during peak hours and this has contributed to the smooth traffic flow.

“But this needs to be consistent to ensure a smoother traffic flow at the checkpoints.

“I am thankful for the cooperation given by all the Home Ministry agencies involved in tackling this legacy issue,” he said.

Onn Hafiz has been highlighting traffic congestion issues at the Causeway of late, with him going to the complex himself on various occasions and meeting with the Immigration Department to discuss solutions to tackle the matter.Previously, he assured the people the traffic situation at the complex would get better.

Among the measures implemented were for all counters to be opened and no rotation of staff members during peak hours.

He also reportedly said several matters were discussed and agreed between the state government and Home Ministry to help ease the traffic congestion at the Causeway and Second Link.

Last Friday, Immigration director-general Ruslin Jusoh said that 100 new recruits will be placed at BSI after the completion of their training on May 20.

At present, there are 1,074 Immigration officers and personnel at BSI and there are still 273 vacancies to be filled.

More than 27 million individuals had crossed the Malaysia-Singapore border via the Causeway, known as among the busiest in the world, in the first five months of this year.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Malaysian Youth Council should continue to be agent of unity, says Zahid
Food supply in S'gor sufficient for three months, says MB
Kitingan eyes fielding Sabah STAR candidate for Lahad Datu's Tungku seat
PM officially closes Central Zone Madani Rakyat programme
No changes to Perak PKR chairman, deputy posts
PM: Naccol given until March 20 to fix padi, rice price issues
Public-private partnership vital to empower TVET
Baby accidentally fed syabu by mother discharged from hospital
Malaysian woman, 57, dies on Emirates flight to KL after medical emergency landing in Chennai
Taiping woman loses more than RM180,000 through parcel scam

Others Also Read