KUALA LUMPUR: The Public Works Department (JKR) activated the Johor State Disaster Operations Control Centre at 8 am today, as part of the urgent measures taken in response to the floods in Johor.
The Works Ministry (KKR) said seven districts in the state - Segamat, Kluang, Mersing, Kota Tinggi, Kulai, Johor Bahru and Pontian - had been affected by floods as at March 1.
"The latest reports of disasters in each affected district are updated every four hours. The reports are updated on JKR Malaysia's official disaster management website (e-Bencana). The state and district JKR are always ready to assist the public by disseminating the latest information and answering questions on road closures," KKR said in a statement today.
It said concessionaires, together with the district JKR, are on standby along the flooded routes in case of untoward incidents, and that traffic management plans have been made available for the affected areas.
At the same time, water levels will be monitored to determine whether the road or route concerned can be be opened to the public.
For districts that are still in the process of appointing the state concessionaire, namely Kluang, Batu Pahat, Segamat, Muar and Tangkak, an allocation of RM250,000 has been provided for immediate use by district engineers in accordance with urgent needs following the current flood situation in Johor.
"JKR Malaysia is always ready to activate the ministry's assets, including the Bailey Bridge team, to face any eventuality. Kota Tinggi JKR has also helped to bring Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia students to sit for their examination and send patients to hospital," it said.
For information and inquiries, contact JKR's disaster operations room at 03-2610 7727, visit the website http://bencanaalam.jkr.gov.my or follow @CSFJ_JKR on Twitter. - Bernama.