First flood fatality recorded in Kluang


JOHOR BARU: The first flood casualty in Johor has been recorded in Kluang after a man was found dead inside a car that is believed to have been swept away by floodwaters at Jalan GSA Chamek, Paloh, near here.

Kluang police chief Asst Comm Bahrin Mohd Noh said the 20-year-old victim was driving to work at a palm oil processing factory nearby when floodwaters swept the car away at about 7.20am yesterday.

“Search and rescue efforts were carried out and at 12.20pm, the car was found submerged in floodwaters.

“Upon inspecting the car, a man was found dead inside. The body of the victim was later sent to Hospital Enche’ Besar Hajjah Khalsom in Kluang for a post-mortem,” he said.

In a separate statement, Johor police chief Datuk Kamarul Zaman Mamat said a video on TikTok showing a bridge collapsing and being swept away by floodwaters did not happen in the state.

“The Johor police contingent would like to confirm that such an incident did not happen in Johor.

“The incident is believed to have happened in another country.

Taking their chances: Two drivers cautiously making their way through floods which hit Kota Tinggi in Johor. — Pictures by THOMAS YONG/The StarTaking their chances: Two drivers cautiously making their way through floods which hit Kota Tinggi in Johor. — Pictures by THOMAS YONG/The Star

“Members of the public are advised to not spread fake news that can raise fear within the community.

“Legal action will be taken against anyone spreading such news or fake messages,” he said.

The 20-second video clip that is making its rounds on social media is actually dated Dec 12, 2022, and shows a bridge collapsing and being swept away by floodwaters, reported Bernama.

About 7,000 people have been affected by floods in Johor so far, worse than the floods that hit several districts in the state between Jan 24 and Feb 9 this year involving 5,500 victims.

Eight districts in the state were affected by yesterday’s floods, which were attributed to a downpour that started on Tuesday.

The state disaster management committee, in a statement, said the number of flood victims in Johor stood at 7,981 with 72 temporary evacuation centres opened as at 4pm yesterday.

Segamat is the worst hit with 2,408 victims followed by Kluang (1,952 victims), Johor Baru (1,888), Kota Tinggi (1,315), Kulai (320), Mersing (44), Pontian (36) and Tangkak (18).

“Rivers in Segamat, Kluang, Kulai, Pontian and Johor Baru have passed the dangerous levels,” it added.

Meanwhile, Tunku Mahkota Johor Tunku Ismail Ibni Sultan Ibrahim said he had mobilised the Johor Military Force (JMF) and the Southern Volunteers to provide assistance to flood victims.

He would be visiting several temporary evacuation centres that have been set up, he said in a statement posted on his Facebook page.

Johor Mentri Besar Datuk Onn Hafiz Ghazi said all relevant agencies had been mobilised to help flood victims.

“It is expected that there will be an increase in the number of flood victims soon,” he said.

He also urged the public to always be vigilant and obey instructions by the authorities.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

flood , casualty , Johor , Kluang

   

Next In Nation

Anwar extends condolences to Vietnam on the passing of Nguyen Phu Trong
Digital Ministry monitoring IT outage, taking action
Cloud seeding operations at Bukit Merah Dam on July 29
Teen girl drowns while swimming with family in Skudai
Individual fined RM25,000 for uploading false content on Facebook
K-drama star Lee Joon Gi in KL this September
Three suffer burns in boat fuel tank explosion
'I'm a guy, I'm an idiot': Harith Iskander blames himself for pending divorce
Visit Melaka Year 2024: JPJ inspects tour and express buses
Bersatu's FT chapter echoes Muhyiddin's proposal

Others Also Read