SEREMBAN: The Negri Sembilan Islamic Affairs Council (MAINS) has expressed regret over resurfacing allegations that tithe funds had been misappropriated.
MAINS chairman Datuk Seri Dr Abdul Aziz Syeikh Ab Kadir said the allegations, which first appeared in 2019, have resurfaced.
"We would like to categorically deny claims on social media that MAINS had misappropriated zakat funds.
"When the allegations were first made in 2019, we lodged several police reports against the owner of the social media account," he said in a statement on Thursday (Feb 9).
Abdul Aziz said MAINS had cooperated with the police, the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) and the National Audit Department when the allegations first emerged.
"Sadly, these lies are being spread again by irresponsible parties.
"MAINS, as a statutory body under the patronage of the Negri Sembilan Yang di-Pertuan Besar, has always ensured its management complied with the concept of transparency, accountability and high integrity in all aspects of its governance," he said.
He also denied allegations that the state government and Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun were involved in the misappropriation of zakat funds.
Abdul Aziz advised the people to always verify what they read on social media before sharing it with others.
"We have again lodged a report on the matter and hope the police will act accordingly.
Negri police chief Dep Comm Datuk Ahmad Dzaffir Mohd Yussof confirmed that a report had been lodged over the matter.
He said anyone with information on the matter to contact the nearest police station.
Earlier Thursday, the MACC confirmed that it had probed MAINS four years ago but found no evidence to suggest there was any misuse of funds.
Negri MACC director Awangkok Ahmad Taufik Putra Awang Ismail said it had launched an investigation in 2019 but did not find any evidence to suggest there was misappropriation or any other wrongdoing.
Awangkok Ahmad said further investigation could be conducted if it received any new leads.