Balik kampung exodus of 3.8 million


KUALA LUMPUR: Starting this weekend, some 3.8 million vehicles will be taking to the expressways in the balik kampung rush for the Chinese New Year celebration.

Works Minister Datuk Seri Alexander Nanta Linggi said with the increase in traffic volume, the Malaysian Highway Authority (LLM) has taken several initiatives to ensure a smooth flow of traffic, as well as the safety of road users.

Both LLM and the highway concessionaires would be operating round the clock with additional staff on duty, said Nanta.

“We will ensure that the toll collection system works well, and provide additional lanes at toll plazas to reduce congestion,” he said during an interview with Bernama Radio yesterday.

He added that tow trucks were also provided at selected locations to help in the event of an accident.

Highway construction and maintenance work that involve lane closures would also be halted from this Friday until next Wednesday, so as to avoid disrupting traffic flow, he added.

According to Nanta, there were 4,379 fatalities from 402,626 road accidents between January and September of last year.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

balik kampung , Chinese New Year , vehicles

   

Next In Nation

Fatwa on religious rituals offers good guidance, says Council of Churches Malaysia
No water-borne diseases reported on Pangkor Island, says Perak exco member
Melaka’s St Paul’s Church in state of neglect
Anwar undergoes check-up at IJN
Malaysia confident of avoiding recession in 2023 despite global headwinds, says Tengku Zafrul
Crowd thrilled by Thaipusam chariot-lion dance procession in KL
Hajiji is now Gagasan Rakyat chief
Penang cops arrest two alleged triad members for extorting trader
US Ambassador wishes Happy Thaipusam to Malaysians
Alleged smuggler nabbed after high-speed chase in Tawau

Others Also Read