Najib's Federal Court case hearings shortened to a day


PUTRAJAYA: The three-day hearing of Datuk Seri Najib Razak's Federal Court review has been shortened to a day.

While the Jan 19 date is maintained, two other dates - Jan 20 and Jan 26 - have been vacated.

ALSO READ: Najib’s SRC case review to proceed as planned, says CJ Tengku Maimun

It is understood that the dates had to be vacated due to the unavailability of one of the judges on the panel as the judge is involved in another hearing that needs to be prioritised on the two dates.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Mohd Ashroff Adrin Kamarul confirmed the matter when contacted by the press on Tuesday (Jan 10).

On Monday (Jan 9), Chief Justice Tengku Maimun Tuan Mat said that the review application would proceed as planned as the judges presiding over the matter have been prepared.

"The review's hearing dates have been fixed and we have the panel of judges ready for the matter," she told a press conference after the Opening of the Legal Year (OLY) 2023 here on Monday.

ALSO READ: Najib's application to review Federal Court decision has no merit, says prosecution

The dates have been fixed since Oct 21 last year.

On Aug 23, last year, the Federal Court upheld the Kuala Lumpur High Court’s decision to convict Najib to 12 years in jail and a RM210mil fine in the RM42mil SRC case.

On Sept 6, he applied for a review of the Federal Court’s decision, claiming a “miscarriage of justice” in his case.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Chinese tourists lead international visits to Sabah in first quarter of 2024
Three nabbed in Johor for stealing cables
I filed police report to stop Ebit Lew, says witness
SPM 2023 candidates can check results using SMS, Education Ministry website
Cops are looking for missing 12-year-old girl in Muar
Malaysia to leverage Asean to tackle regional issues, says Anwar
Monorail operator gets award from Transport Minister for actions during KL tree collapse
1MDB sues PSI exec, UK law firm for RM8.61bil
Police warn public not to share video of acid attack on footballer
Tun M says MACC has not asked him to declare assets

Others Also Read