Over 3,000 smoking violation notices issued from Jan-Oct, says Khairy


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 26 Oct 2021

KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama): A total of 3,419 notices were issued nationwide for smoking in eateries from January until Oct 24 this year, says Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin.

He said Terengganu had the highest number of violations with 652 notices issued followed by Pahang (601), Sarawak (365), Perak (356) and Kuala Lumpur (303).

Khairy said the notices were issued under Section 32B of the Enforcement Regulations of Tobacco Control 2004.

"The Health Ministry has intensified anti-smoking enforcement activities in all eateries, especially now that the government has allowed dine-in again," he said in a statement on Tuesday (Oct 26).

All eateries, including air-conditioned and open-air diners had been gazetted as smoke-free areas effective Jan 1, 2019 under Regulation 11 (1) (d) of the Tobacco Control Regulation (PPKHT) Regulations 2004 (amended) 2018.

Khairy said the smoking ban was not intended to punish smokers but to avoid complications due to the habit to smokers as well as passive smokers, namely those who are around smokers.

He said the Health Ministry was committed to helping smokers kick the habit, adding that registration for the ‘mQuit’ integrated quit smoking service can be done via www.jomquit.com. - Bernama

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

smoking , notices , Khairy Jamaluddin , MOH , enforcement

   

Next In Nation

Azmin has a tendency to ‘micromanage’, says Amirudin
Muhyiddin should assist MACC to locate son-in-law, says Fahmi
Explain why Kelantan can’t resolve water woes, Anwar asks PAS, Perikatan
Company owners to be charged with fraud in Tawau
Vincent Tan, Berjaya Land file RM200mil suit against Sanusi
Kudat MMEA detains two Filipinos for ferrying controlled items without permit
State polls: Talk about bringing down Federal Govt will not aid economic recovery, says Nik Nazmi
State polls: Don't miss out opportunities for a better life, Zahid tells Kelantan folk
Sanusi sues Saifuddin over REE theft allegations
Ipoh cops on the hunt for car thieves

Others Also Read