GEORGE TOWN: A total of two public markets and a food complex on Penang island have been ordered shut after Covid-19 cases were detected.
The Batu Lanchang market has been ordered closed for the second time starting Friday (Sept 3).
Prior to this, the market was closed on July 29 after seven poultry traders tested positive for Covid-19 and it was reopened on Aug 18.
Additionally, traders at the Bukit Gedung food complex have taken the initiative to temporarily close the premises starting Friday (Sept 3) to help curb the spread of Covid-19.
The Penang Island City Council (MBPP) said the food complex will be closed for a week until Sept 9.
“The closure will involve 49 active stalls in the food complex. The food complex will reopen on Sept 10. We urge the public to always follow the standard operating procedures (SOPs) to avoid getting infected by the virus especially through the community,” said the council in a statement.
The MBPP also reminded all market and food complex associations to ensure crowd control all the time.
“Those who fall under the high-risk status in the MySejahtera app are not allowed to enter markets and food complexes under the MBPP. We will take serious action including closing premises if the standard operating procedures are not followed,” it added.
On Thursday (Sept 2), the Padang Tembak public market was ordered closed after nine Covid-19 cases involving traders, helpers and a public health assistant were detected.
Since March last year, several public markets including those at Taman Free School, Batu Maung, Perak Road, Batu Lanchang, Bayan Baru and Jelutong on the island and in Penaga, Bagan Ajam, Chai Leng Park, Taman Sri Rambai, Seberang Jaya, Kepala Batas, Machang Bubok and Bukit Mertajam on the Penang mainland had been temporarily closed for disinfection after Covid-19 cases were detected.