PETALING JAYA: Patrons are unlikely to "lepak" (hang around) at mamak restaurants any time soon despite the announcement to allow dine-in for those who are fully vaccinated, says Malaysian Indian Muslim Restaurant Owners Association (Presma).
"Although dine-in may be allowed in states under Phase Two (of the National Recovery Plan), many customers are unlikely to lepak or hang around unlike previous times.
"Many will likely stay for about 30 minutes to have their meal or tea and leave.
"This is because many customers have already grown used to the takeaway concept," Presma president Datuk Jawahar Ali Taib Khan said when contacted on Sunday (Aug 8).
Apart from the safety of customers, he said restaurant operators will also have to think about the safety of their workers.
"We have to look after not only the safety of customers but also our workers athough many workers have already been fully vaccinated," he said.
He also noted that many restaurant operators in the Klang Valley and Selangor would still be unable to allow dine-in as they are still under Phase One.
He said Presma has some 4,500 members operating about 12,500 restaurants nationwide, with the concentration in Klang Valley and Selangor.
So far, only six states have transitioned to Phase Two, namely Perlis, Kelantan, Perak, Pahang, Terengganu and Penang.
Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin announced on Sunday (Aug 8) that dine-ins at restaurants or cafes at clubhouse premises will be allowed for fully vaccinated customers.
In his announcement, Muhyiddin advised those who will be allowed to dine-in begining Aug 10, not to hang around after their meals.