‘Nasi ganja probe deepens’

IPOH: The helicopter that picked up 36 packets of “nasi ganja” from Ipoh to deliver to Kuala Lumpur was only permitted to cross state borders for maintenance work, says the Perak police chief.

Comm Datuk Mior Faridalathrash Wahid said the permission granted by the police did not include any food pick-up.

“We have recorded statements from various individuals, including the police officer who gave the permit.

“The others included complainants, the food seller, the owner of the helicopter and all the others involved,” he said yesterday.

The owner of the helicopter, Mohamed Raffe Chekku, had reportedly said that the trip and landing at Padang Ipoh to pick up the popular dish was made with the necessary papers in order.

The incident is said to have occurred on July 23.

The local delight got its “ganja” moniker from its apparent addictiveness.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia is also investigating whether the helicopter breached any regulation under the Malaysian Civil Aviation Regulation 2016 and the Civil Aviation Directives.

Comm Mior Faridalathrash said the case was being investigated under Section 16 of the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act.

“Investigations are still ongoing and the investigation papers, when completed, will be submitted to the deputy public prosecutor’s office for the next course of action.

“People should also not manipulate what has been published in the news but should read and understand the entire article to avoid speculation that could hinder investigations,” he added.

Ipoh Mayor Datuk Rumaizi Baharin said the Ipoh City Council would let the police investigate the matter before deciding on whether it would take any action.

Rumaizi had been asked whether the helicopter landing had damaged the field.

Separately, the eatery that sold the nasi ganja has been enjoying brisk business since news of the incident broke, reported MySinchew, the English-language portal of Sin Chew Daily.

Owner Mohd Nihmathullah Syed Mustaffah, 57, said there was a long queue on Saturday and all the food was sold out within two and a half hours.

Mohd Nihmathullah said they usually closed at 5pm but everything was sold out by 2.30pm.

He also said he was initially sceptical about the order of nasi ganja that would be picked up by a helicopter.

He added that he was just happy that his food had received orders from another state, and it was also the first time his food was delivered by a helicopter since he started his business.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Next In Nation

Two localities in Pahang, one in Sabah under EMCO From Sept 23 to Oct 6
Anti-vax civil servants must be addressed, says Public Service Department
Man nabbed with syabu worth more than RM1mil in Tebedu
Father of Selangor MB passes away
No application submitted for development of theme park in Cameron Highlands, says MB
Bipartisan support sought for constitutional amendment over citizenship issue
Software engineer loses over RM1.2mil in Macau scam
Bentley among three vehicles allegedly set ablaze to claim insurance to pay loan shark debts
Reveal data showing MM2H participants are security threats, says Hannah Yeoh
Plan to allow football fans back in stadiums submitted to NSC, says Ahmad Faizal

Stories You'll Enjoy