LRT line back on track

KUALA LUMPUR: Stringent safety checks were carried out before the LRT Kelana Jaya line, which was affected by a head-on collision on Monday, resumed operations, says Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong.

To mark the resumption of the service and as a show of assurance, the Transport Minister took a ride on the line at about 3.45pm yesterday.

He was accompanied by officials from his ministry along with Prasarana Malaysia Bhd and the Land Public Transport Agency (Apad).

“We wanted to ensure all safety checks were thoroughly carried out by Apad before allowing the line to resume operations.

“That is why I am here with the officials as we will mark the opening of the line by taking a ride on it, ” he said during an appreciation ceremony held at the KLCC LRT station located at Avenue-K shopping mall yesterday.

On Monday night, a train carrying passengers collided with a faulty train that was being test-driven in a tunnel between the Kampung Baru and KLCC stations.

Dr Wee commended the 367 Prasarana personnel who worked “three-shifts non-stop” to get the affected public transport service back online so swiftly after the incident.

He also commended the fast response of the rescue and recovery personnel, which also included some 300 medical personnel.

Dr Wee noted Prasarana had implemented Apad’s proposal to repair the linear heat detection cables along the entire line.

The fire detection system was among the components that suffered damage in the incident.

Meanwhile, Dr Wee said the victims could seek legal advice and action if they wanted.

He said this in response to talk that some victims may file a class action suit against Prasarana.

“We are a democratic country and they are free to do so.

“We will face it and Prasarana will look into it, ” he said.

Dr Wee said 213 individuals were injured in the incident and 67 were admitted to Kuala Lumpur Hospital.

He said 61 were discharged the following day while six others were in the intensive care unit (ICU).

He noted only one of the six had since been discharged.

In an earlier Facebook posting, Dr Wee said he managed to visit one victim, S. Kumuthini, at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital.

He had also called victims and family members of those who were still being treated in the hospital.

“During my phone conversation with the victims’ family members, I asked them regarding their current situation and discussed a few matters to ensure they received the best care.

“I heard their grievances and requested that they contact me directly for any form of assistance, ” he said.

“I hope and wish all the victims a speedy recovery, ” he added.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

LRT , Wee Ka Siong ,


Next In Nation

PKR polls: Fierce race for four VP posts, Amirudin fails in three Selangor divisions
Johor's Hospital Sultanah Aminah to get facelift, says Mentri Besar
Stern action if local council renters do not abide by rules, says Perak exco member
PKR polls: Farhash calls for independent body to conduct forensic audit on results
PM gives assurance media free to operate without interference
Coalitions are squabbling, not working for Malaysia, claims Shafie
Kedah Islamic Religious Dept to probe superstitious practice in Gunung Jerai
Karangkraf named recipient of Hawana 2022 award
Mosti developing RM10mil mobile chemistry lab
EPU responsible for strengthening agenda to deal with ageing nation, says Mustapa

Others Also Read