Ensuring no disruption to nation’s food supply


People thronged the fresh food section of the Pasar Jalan Raja Bot, Kuala Lumpur on the eve of Hari Raya. - LOW LAY PHON/The Star

BELURAN: The agriculture and food industry sector will continue to be placed under essential services to ensure that there are no disruptions to the nation’s food supply chain and food security throughout the movement control order period.

Welcoming the government’s decision to tighten the MCO, Agriculture and Food Industries minister Datuk Seri Dr Ronald Kiandee said the ministry had taken various measures to ensure that the country’s food supply was safeguarded no matter what.

“Mafi (the ministry) has taken necessary measures, including seeking approval from the National Security Council (NSC) to ensure that farmers, fishermen and livestock breeders will continue to be allowed to operate throughout the MCO to ensure the continued supply of food, ” he said in a statement.

In line with that effort, Ronald, who is also Beluran MP, said the government would ensure that the supply of essential food items such as rice, meat, fish, vegetables and fruits remained at a stable and adequate level.

He added that the Crisis Management Centre had been reopened in line with the MCO and would function as the main centre to receive calls, early warnings and daily situation reports so that it would gain the latest information on every sector and industry.

Any inquiries and complaints can be channelled through the hotline 03-88701491/1664 or the website http://mafi.spab.gov.my

Ronald also said the data monitoring system and the country’s daily supply issue, which had been implemented by the ministry since the first MCO, would continue to generate current status and food supply reports on the main commodities.

“The report will be submitted to the NSC for monitoring purposes, ” he added. — Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

RM273mil lost in ‘uCustoms’
MACC task force to probe failed ‘uCustoms’ fiasco
Enforce checks on MM2H participants, dependents
Cops to look into alleged data leak
Poor project planning led to water project delay, says A-G’s report
Deputy minister says sorry after driver caught driving dangerously in Kelantan
Khalid Samad says he supported housing project proposal and not the company
Scheduled water supply disruption in five areas in Hulu Langat
Four arrested following scuffle in Cheras
Spas, wellness business, zoos in Sabah allowed to reopen from Friday (Oct 1)

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers