Perak MB: No decision yet to implement stricter MCO


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 19 May 2021

Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Saarani Mohamad. -filepic

IPOH: There has been no decision made yet to implement stricter movement control order (MCO) measures in Perak, says Datuk Saarani Mohamad.

During a press conference on Wednesday (May 19), the Perak Mentri Besar said the state administration was still discussing the matter.

"I will have a meeting soon with the state National Security Council.

"Whatever the decision is, I want everyone to know that we are doing it for the benefit of the people," he said.

Earlier on Wednesday, a message that Perak would be placed "under full lockdown similar to the first MCO" went viral on social media.

Saarani also urged the public not to spread fake news.

He also said Perak was considering procuring its own supply of Covid-19 vaccines.

"We will meet with the state Health Department director soon to discuss this. If there is a need and the budget, we will consider it," he said.

To date, Perak has over 17,000 cumulative Covid-19 cases with Ipoh alone recording 511, followed by Taiping (330) and Hutang Melintang (68).

On adding more low-risk quarantine and treatment centres in the state, Saarani said several locations had been identified.

"Due to high occupancy rates, we can no longer rely on the centres in Serdang, Selangor, and Seberang Prai, Penang. Therefore we are looking to set up centres in several districts such as Manjung, Larut, Matang and Selama.

"We have also added 100 beds at the Arena Badminton Perak in Ipoh," he said.

Saarani also announced that the state would launch a relief fund for Palestine.

"The state government will donate RM100,000 to the fund, followed by donations from other agencies and government-linked companies.

"We have also appointed Parit MP Datuk Nizar Zakaria to ensure that the funds are received by those in need. Nizar will be contacting the country through the help of Wisma Putra," he said.

He also announced that a total of 20,000 smartphones would be distributed to students in Perak.

"Under the Tuisyen Cikgu Saarani programme, 20,000 students who are in need and from B40 families will receive the smartphones to help them with online learning.

"Our main priority is students facing key exams such as Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia," he said.

"Due to the ongoing pandemic that does not allow gatherings, the phones will be distributed through their respective assemblymen's offices," he added.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Do you know... about aquaplaning?
Air traffic services will be on par with developed countries
Wee: Savings of RM1bil annually for aviation industry
‘Travel ban is temporary’
Palace: The King concerned about new variant
VTL users must self-test on third and seventh day after arrival
Omicron not a deterrent for tourism, say industry players
Wee: Transport sector won’t be disrupted by Omicron
‘Imposing travel ban not effective in the long term’
Celebrity couple given DNAA

Others Also Read


Vouchers