Vaccinate for your loved ones, urges singer


Compiled by XIAO TONG, C. ARUNO and R. ARAVINTHAN

TAIWAN-based Malaysian singer Victor Wong has completed his vaccination and urges his parents living in Malaysia to also get their jabs, Sin Chew Daily reported.

The 49-year-old recently returned to Taiwan from a project in China and got his second vaccination shot.

He joked that he now has “armour” protecting him from the Covid-19 virus and urged others to get it as well.

“Getting vaccinated not only protects you but also your family members. I have also encouraged my parents to get their jabs, ” he posted on Facebook.

It was also reported that when Wong was undergoing a 14-day quarantine upon entering Taiwan, Taipei raised its epidemic alert to Level 3.

The father of two immediately told his wife to cancel the children’s classes, and told them to stay home.

> The son of recently deceased Hong Kong actor Ng Man Tat shot to fame abruptly in China due to his tall figure and good looks, reported Sin Chew Daily.

The 19-year-old Ng Wai Lun, who is currently living in Malaysia with his mother, became a trending topic on Chinese cyberspace.

Account names such as “Ng Wai Lun’s girlfriend” and “Ng Wai Lun’s wife” started popping up on social media lately, proving that the young man was generating some attention.

Many of his female fans want Wai Lun to join the entertainment scene in China.

When Man Tat took his son to a movie premiere in China in 2018, talent managers were eager to sign up Wai Lun.

However, Man Tat was against the idea and insisted that his son had to complete his education before deciding on a career path.

Currently, Wai Lun attends an international school in Johor Baru where he keeps a low profile.

Man Tat died of liver cancer at the age of 70 on Feb 27.

The actor started his career at the age of 22 and had roles in movies including The Final Combat, The Justice of Life and Shaolin Soccer.

Man Tat was cremated on March 8 and his ashes brought back to Malaysia.

> The Xiang Lian Youth Association Charity and Education Fund chairman has urged the government to provide additional support to teachers following the announcement of the third movement control order, Sin Chew Daily also reported.

Datuk Seri Dr King Lim Chin Fui said teachers may face additional financial burden when required to fork out their own money for computer hardware just to conduct online classes.

In a statement released on Saturday, Lim urged the government to provide teachers with an additional allowance to purchase the equipment required.

Citing a study by Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM), he pointed out that 85% of the teachers reportedly conducted one to four hours of online classes a day during the last MCO whereas the remaining 15% exceeded four hours of such instruction.

Lim also urged the government to give teachers priority in getting vaccinated against Covid-19 as they are considered frontliners.

The above articles are compiled from the vernacular newspapers (Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese and Tamil dailies). As such, stories are grouped according to the respective language/medium. Where a paragraph begins with a >, it denotes a separate news item.

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Next In Nation

Nearly 1.3 million gotten second dose
Why high jab rate matters
RM8bil for subsidies
2.5 million documented foreigners to be jabbed
Travel letters from ministries valid until June 28
Thumbs-up for smooth-sailing Mitec
Immunisation scheme for factory staff to be launched
Cops turn tables on revellers in drug-fuelled party for a doctor
The game goes on for fans
Frontliners on night shift adjust dinner arrangement

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers