PETALING JAYA: Indian nationals have been barred from entering Malaysia and only cargo flights from the country have been allowed, says Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong (pic).
The Transport Minister noted that the National Security Council meeting had made the decision on April 28.
“Only cargo flights will be permitted at this time.
“The MH-designated flights going viral on social media are all cargo-only flights, ” he said, referring to Malaysia Airlines.
“Flights on passenger aircraft are also empty of people and are used to carry freight comprising pharmaceutical goods, medical supplies, mobile phones, electrical components and courier packages.”
Dr Wee was responding to claims made on social media of the arrival of four passenger flights from India at the KL International Airport on May 1.
He also said converting passenger flights to cargo-only flights had been a practice for Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB) for many months now due to the pandemic.
“The Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia (CAAM), MASKargo under MAB and the Malaysian Aviation Commission (Mavcom) will corroborate these facts, ” he added.
Dr Wee said Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah had verified that an Indian foreign worker with a valid pass entered Malaysia much earlier on April 10.
He also said non-Malaysian travellers from India were not allowed to enter or even transit in Malaysia at present.
“However, exceptions will be made for Malaysian citizens transiting through Malaysia from India, without clearing Immigration and Customs.
“All crew remain on board. MAB is also restricting ground maintenance personnel in India from entering the aircraft.
“Foreign workers holding temporary working visit passes, business workers and international students from India will be similarly restricted under the April 28 order, ” he said.
Meanwhile, Dr Wee said Malaysians (students and workers), their families and non-Malaysian spouses returning from India are allowed back, with a 14-day mandatory quarantine at designated centres.
“For the record, after the National Security Council meeting on April 28 chaired by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin ended at 5pm, I organised a virtual meeting at 5.10pm and personally communicated with all stakeholders based on the outcome of the said meeting.
“While it is regrettable some misinformation had occurred on the status of these flights, I assure you that the government is aware of the concerns and situation in all our foreign neighbours and is taking the necessary steps to contain further transmissions in Malaysia, ” he said.