MELAKA: It was touted as Melaka’s pioneer mega bazaar but Jalan Hang Tuah Ramadan couldn’t live up to its expectation and its run is scheduled to come to an end following the lukewarm response it received.
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Sulaiman Md Ali has asked Melaka Historic City Council (MBMB) to offer traders at the bazaar spaces at other busier sites.
“I suggest the organiser quickly dismantle the tents before incurring more losses and I will also ask MBMB to assist them (organiser) in whatever ways, ” he said yesterday.
“Newer bazaars have gained popularity among the locals and it would be better for the organiser to stop hoping that traders would rent the stalls, ” he said.
On April 15, The Star reported that the Jalan Hang Tuah Ramadan bazaar was “empty” for the second time with almost no takers.
MBMB mayor Datuk Zainal Abu said the council has cautioned the organiser to anticipate a tepid response based on the 2019 experience.
Zainal noted that the proximity of similar bazaars has driven away traders from renting the stalls along Jalan Hang Tuah.
The mega Ramadan bazaar Jalan Hang Tuah, which made its debut in 2013, was a carnival-like event attracting close to 10,000 people at its peak.
In 2019, many traders had gradually begun closing down their stalls halfway through the Ramadan month due to the lack of response from the locals.
Last year, Ramadan bazaars were not permitted to operate in the state in order to stem the spread of Covid-19.