KLANG: Five men, including the man who assaulted his two bodyguards for fasting, have been arrested as they are believed to be involved in illegal gambling and loan sharking activities.
Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Arjunaidi Mohamed said they also seized RM28.54mil worth of gold bars and cash in foreign denominations following a raid in Bukit Tinggi on Wednesday.
“We seized several items, including mobile phones, a pistol as well as five bullets and a rotan.
“Initial investigations revealed that the suspects have been involved in illegal gambling and Ah Long activities, ” he told a press conference at South Klang police headquarters yesterday.
Those arrested had been remanded for further investigation, he said.
“We are also investigating whether the suspects are involved with other syndicates such as the one led by Datuk Seri Nicky Liow, ” he added.Comm Arjunaidi urged the public to remain calm as the issue of the bodyguards being assaulted for fasting had been dealt with.
“It is more of a personal matter between those involved and it is an isolated incident, ” he added.
On Wednesday, police received a report on the man, who was supposedly upset that his two bodyguards were fasting during Ramadan.
The complainant, a 26-year-old bodyguard, told the police that the incident occurred at a condominium in Jalan Pinang.
He claimed that he and a colleague were slapped after telling the suspect they were fasting when he asked them.
The complainant added that they then followed the suspect to his house in Batu Nilam, Klang, where they were beaten with a cane.
A gun was also allegedly pointed at one of the bodyguards.
In Putrajaya, Home Minister Datuk Seri Hamzah Zainudin said stern action would be taken against those who had allegedly assaulted two bodyguards for fasting.
“If the incident (assault) happened because of fasting, stern action will be taken. The bodyguards are Muslims and they are required by the religion to observe fasting during Ramadan.
“I have asked the police to investigate the case thoroughly, ” he said.
The suspects, aged between 38 and 46, have been remanded for five days to assist in the investigation.
On a separate matter, Comm Arjunaidi said the police discovered that there were many Covid-19 SOP violations at the Ramadan bazaars.
“We will take stern action against individuals who violated the SOP, including traders and customers. The same goes for bazaar organisers, ” he said.
“The top offence at such bazaars was lack of physical distancing. We hope traders and customers will take heed and adhere to the SOP.”
On interstate travel, Comm Arjunaidi said Selangor police would scrutinise all application for permits more closely.
“We are also looking to increase roadblocks statewide and will perform more stringent checks during the weekends, ” he added.