KOTA KINABALU: The Sabah government will allow tourism-related movement between zones in the state as long as it is handled by tourism agencies or companies registered with the Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry.
State Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun (pic) said transportation is restricted to ministry-registered tourism vehicles, and individual travel between zones for tourism activities is not allowed.
This is based on the updated standard operating procedures (SOP) for the recovery movement control order (MCO) for Sabah which is in effect from Thursday (April 15) until April 28.
"Tourism companies must get police permission to move between zones and the movement must be direct to the destination (point to point). Stopping at other areas or zones is not allowed," Masidi said in a statement on Friday (April 16).
"Accommodation and activities must be determined earlier and this ruling is only for tourism inside the state.
"Tourists from outside Sabah are not allowed yet," he added.
Previously, inter-zone tourism activities in Sabah were only allowed via the travel bubble approach, where tourism operators must submit applications to ensure they can adhere to the protocols.
On a separate matter, Masidi said markets at recovery MCO areas are allowed to open but their operations are still based on risk assessment by the relevant local authorities.
Masidi reiterated that Ramadan bazaars are prohibited.
Sabah recorded 143 new Covid-19 cases on Friday, with no fatalities.
One new cluster was reported in Sandakan (Kluster DTI) involving detainees who were screened on April 12 before being deported to their home country.
From that cluster, a total of 55 individuals tested positive through PCR testing, said Masidi.